1 lb. medium fresh shrimp
¼ tsp garlic salt
1 small head of bok choy
¼ piece fresh ginger
1 clove garlic
1 tbsp peanut oil
¾ cup chicken broth
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sherry
1 tsp crushed red pepper
½ tsp sugar
2 tsp cornstarch
- Peel, clean and devein the shrimp. To save time you can purchase fresh shrimp that have already been peeled and deveined.
- Once the shrimp are clean, place them in a bowl and lightly sprinkle them with the garlic salt. Let them sit at room temperature while preparing the other ingredients.
- Next chop off the base of the head of bok choy and discard. Then rinse each leaf under cold running water and dry thoroughly. Then cut the green leafy parts from the white stems and separate. Roughly chop the green parts and cut the white stems into small ½ inch square pieces and set them aside still keeping them separated. These will be cooked separately since the stalks take a bit longer to cook than the leafy parts.
- Next, peel the ginger and mince it and then do the same with the clove of garlic.
- In a large cup mix together all of the ingredients for the sauce, stirring thoroughly, and set this mixture aside.
- Next heat a wok on high and then add the oil and swirl it around the wok to coat the sides and let it get hot.
- When the oil is hot add the ginger and stir fry it for 20 seconds.
- Then add the garlic and stir fry for another 10 seconds, taking care not to burn the garlic. If the garlic gets too hot it will burn and you will need to restart the dish.
- Next add the white parts of the bok choy and stir fry them for 3 minutes.
- Then add the green leafy parts and stir fry another 2 minutes, or until the white parts are crisp – tender and the leafy greens are wilted.
- Then add the shrimp and stir fry everything for a minute, or just until the shrimp turn a light pink color and their tails start to curl.
- Then add the sauce mixture, stirring constantly until it thickens.
- Then remove it from the heat and serve, this is delicious served over white steamed rice. Makes about 3 servings of stir fried shrimp with bok choy, enjoy.