The iBooks Author Template
Along with those chapter, section and page layouts, templates also have predefined styles and, some times, a color palette designed to match the theme of the template. All of the predefined styles are listed in the Styles Drawer and you can change them using the Format Bar and the Styles Drawer. We will cover more about that later.
How To Make The Template Yourself
My template is already set up with the five sections most requested by my readers. You may want to use all five, change the title and purpose of some, add more or delete a few. You will fill in each section with pages. I have included 34 page layouts, which you can use as is or customize further.
- The Title Page section works like the front matter of a traditional book, which contains the title page, foreword, copyright and dedication pages. My template also has layouts for these individual pages. But this is not set in stone, as you can add, change or omit any page as needed. For example, some digital books place the copyright information in the last section.
- The second section begins the pages of your story. You have the option of placing all the story text within one section or to have subsequent story sections. The template contains three story section layouts and eleven storybook page layouts.
Once the reader has finished reading, its time to play and learn.
- The Activities section contains games and other activities, which you can make with the iBA Widgets. The template contains page layouts for an iBA Media, Pop-over, Gallery and HTML widget.
To these layouts, you can add the free Bookry game widgets such as Drag and Drop, Drag and Match, Maze, Match, Memory, Reveal, Sketchpad (painting widget), Slider Puzzle, Spot the Difference and Word Search.
- You can fill the Quizzes section with multiple choice questions made with the iBA Review Widget. Because the template is for early readers, I have included page layouts for the iBA Graphical Multiple Choice widgets.
Also Bookry has educational widgets for Guess The Word, BMI and Scientific Calculators, Checklist, Charts, Form Builder, Google Maps, Notepad, Office Document Viewer, PDF Viewer, Quiz Builder and Interactive Timeline.
- Finally, the Appendix section begins the back matter of the book and can contain almost anything, such as the author’s bio, publisher information, copyright information, testimonials and social web links. My template contains several page layouts for your Appendix pages.
For those not using my template but would like to turn off the portrait orientation for the template they are using, here are the steps to do so.
- With the template open in iBA, click the Inspector icon in the Toolbar to open the Inspector.
- Click the Document tab, first tab on the left, to view the document settings.
- Check the box next to Disable scrolling view option, to prevent the portrait view for your book.
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2018 by Diane Cipollo. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Diane Cipollo. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Diane Cipollo for details.