This homemade sausage recipe is easier than you might think, and can control the quality of your ingredients.
Sausage of different types are made throughout Italy. This type of sausage is great grilled and served with polenta, or used in other dishes. If you plan to add the sausage to another dish you may want to skip the casing step. This type of sausage is also called mild sausage.
- 3 pounds lean pork butt, ground
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 basil leaves, minced (or 1/4 tsp dry basil)
- 1/2 tsp oregano, minced (or 1/8 tsp dry oregano)
- 1/2 tsp rosemary leaves, minced (or 1/8 tsp dried rosemary)
- 1 Tbs fennel seeds
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 20-25 Casings (water packed, not salt packed)
Place the ground pork in a large mixing bowl.
Note: If you want spicy Italian sausage, reduce the fennel to 1/2 Tbs and add 1/2 - 1 Tbs red pepper flakes.