Guest Author - Judith Hodges
Football is a popular sport in the United States. In many homes watching Monday Night Football is a family tradition. Saturday afternoon is the day that many families cheer on their favorite college teams. Growing up dreaming of playing football is not uncommon. So how do you know if you should try out for football?
Reasons to Play Football:
1. Love of Game - If you make the team, it is important to really love the game. There will be long practices. It is more than just Friday night you will be missing. Too many people are depending on you for you to not give it your all.
2. Being Part of a Team- If you want to be part of a group, join football. It is better to ride the bench than be involved in drugs or be in a gang.
3. Health Reasons- If you want to stay in shape and healthy, football is a great way and reason to exercise. Many people let themselves go after playing football, but this is a good way to get in shape.
4. To Better Yourself- If you want to learn how to deal with things like criticism and hard work, then football is a great way to do it. Football will teach you discipline and self respect.
5. Overcome Adversity- Football is often about the underdog. Learning how to play on a high level and win is part of the game. Football teaches that someone can work hard and beat the “unbeatable”. This is a life lesson for when other things get you down.
6. Learning to Care for Others- You will learn to care for your teammates to the point that you want to succeed, not for your own good but because it will benefit them. This will give you a better understanding for how to look out for other’s best interest.
7. Work Ethic- If you want to have a good work ethic, football is a great way to learn responsibility and how to work hard. This will help you succeed in things other than football.
These are just a few good reasons to choose football. There are many other sports, but football is a great team sport. It is not for everyone, but it can be rewarding for those who participate.