Guest Author - Judith Hodges
Football is a great sport. There are many good reasons to choose to play football, but there is also many reason to choose another sport. So what are the wrong reasons to play football?
1. To be Popular - If you are doing this to get people to like you, then do not try out. This is a team, not a one man show.
2. Parents Want You to Play - Doing something, even playing football, for your parents is not the right reason. It should be something you want to do or you will be miserable. If you donít explain your feelings to them, it could lead to a lot of bitterness.
3. To be a Star - If you are going into football to play in the NFL, more than likely you will never make it. It is a sad fact that only a few players make it on a professional level. It will not be easy to make it to the NFL. Do your best on each level and you will be more likely to succeed. Every player starts out somewhere, so build on each level and see where it takes you.
4. Self Centered - If you are going to play for your own glory, then the team will suffer. You should try an individual sport, like boxing or golf.
5. Afraid of Pain - If you have issues with being bruised on a regular basis, football may not be for you. It is a contact sport and people do get hurt. That is one of the risks that you will take every time you step onto the field. If you have health problems, that is a different issue that needs to be discussed with your doctor.
6. Donít Care about Winning Ė This attitude is not fair to teammates, coaches, or fans. There are a lot of people dedicated and working hard toward the goal of winning. If it doesnít make you upset to lose, at least a little bit, then maybe you should stick to games rather than sports.
These are just a few reasons not to choose football as a sport. The point in playing football or being a part of any team is to do your best and promote the team. It is a team and if you play for the wrong reasons, you hurt the team.