Guest Author - danielle barone
A nap each day relaxes the body and mind, and produces healing chemicals that help us to feel good. Naps also guard against mental stress and empower us to calmly deal with life. Taking a few minutes to close your eyes and rest during the day, even for a short period of time can boost immune functioning of the body, as well as improve mental and emotional functioning. Naps are wonderful healing exercises for both children and adults.
In case you need facts to help you understand the importance of taking time to rest, here are some good ones. According to a study conducted by the Archives of Internal Medicine, it found that "people who took a nap for at least thirty minutes three or more times a week, reduced their risk of dying from heart disease by 40%". In addition, NASA researchers have found that " pilots on long flights who napped for an average of 26 minutes, boosted their alertness by more than 50%".
Learning how to rest and relax your body and mind is easy. The following simple steps can help to feel better:
1. If you have a desire to become healthier, devote a small amount of time each day to taking a nap or resting. Train your body and mind to rest at a certain time each day. Make a nap a day a priority for your own well being.
2. Find a comfortable, quiet, shaded place to rest.
3. Make yourself comfortable, close your eyes, and just listen to your breathing.
4. In your mind, visualize images that help you feel peace and serenity. This can help you drift softly into a comforting nap.
5. Let your mind and body rest. Don't worry about anything. Just allow your mind to wander and calm down.
6. Wake naturally if you can. If you must, set an alarm to wake you after a specific period of time. Twenty minutes to one hour is ideal for a nap.