Sweet buttermilk biscuits that melt in your mouth made even more delectable when spread with honey butter.
2 cups self-rising flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup solid white vegetable shortening
1 cup less 2 tablespoons buttermilk
Melted butter for brushing biscuits
Honey Butter (recipe follows)
1. Preheat oven to 450F.
2. Mix the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt with a wire whisk in a medium-sized bowl. Cut in the shortening with a pastry cutter or clean hands until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
3. Add the buttermilk, all at once, and stir briefly with a fork just until the mixture comes together.
4. Roll or pat the dough to a 1/2-inch thickness on a floured surface. Cut into rounds with a floured 2-inch biscuit cutter, placing the rounds on a lightly greased baking sheet.
5. Re-roll the scraps and cut the remaining biscuits.
6. Bake for 10 minutes. Brush the tops with the melted butter and continue to bake for 3 to 5 minutes more, or until golden brown.
7. Remove from the oven and serve immediately with Honey Butter.
1/4 pound butter, softened
1/4 cup honey
In a medium-sized bowl, beat the butter and honey together with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Spoon into a small decorative bowl and serve at room temperature with biscuits or bread. Makes 1 cup.