Here are the headlines to come out of the anime industry since the last newsletter:
- The Anime Network began simulcasting the Infinite Stratos series with the first three episodes on January 23, 2011 at 9:30 p.m. EST. Additional episodes will be added every Sunday at the same time. The first episode will be available for free to all visitors; subsequent episodes will be available to all registered users, including free users.
- Anime News Network is reporting that FUNimation had to halt their simulcast of the Fractale anime series after only one episode. The Japanese copyright holders has asked FUNimation to eliminate unauthorized videos of the anime on the Internet before the simulcast will be allowed to continue. On Monday, January 24, 2011, FUNimation announced they had been diligently tracking online illegal distribution of the series and taking the appropriate legal action. Because of this, the Japanese copyright holders have given their approval for FUNimation to continue the simulcast. FUNimation streamed the second episode on January 24 at 11:45 a.m. EST, and future episodes will stream on Thursdays.
- FUNimation Entertainment has announced that the company began simulcasting the Freezing anime series on Monday, January 24, 2011 at 9:30 a.m. CST. The first two episodes were available on FUNimation's video site, and a new episode will be added each week. Episodes will also be made available on FUNimation's streaming partners one week after their Japanese broadcast.
- The official website for the US cable network Syfy is listing the first two episodes of Chrono Crusade on February 22, 2011 at 11:00 and 11:30 p.m.
- Pokemon: Black & White, the lastest installment in the Pokemon anime franchise, will make its debut on Cartoon Network in the United States on February 12, 2011.
- Canada's Teletoon Network will debut the lastest installment of Bakugan (Bakugan: Mechtanium Surge) on February 13, 2011.
- North American anime distrubtor FUNimation Entertainment has filed a copyright infringment lawsuit against 1,337 "John Does" over the 481st episode of the One Piece anime series. The suit, which was filed in the Northern District of Texas, claims the defendants "collectively participated, via the Internet, in the unlawful reproduction and distribution" of the episode "Ace Rescued! Whitebeard's Final Order!" via the BitTorrent file-sharing protocol. The alleged incidents of infringement took place between January 9 and January 12. FUNimation is asking the court to stop the defendants from infringing on FUNimation's copyrights for this episode, in addition to any other videos now or in the future. In addition, the company is asking for the destruction of all copies of the Plaintiff's videos that the Defendants have downloaded onto any computer hard drive or server, as well as all copies transferred onto any physical medium or device. FUNimation is also seeking compensation for damages and legal costs.
- Summer Wars has been nominated for Best Animated Film for the International Cinephile Society Awards. Also nominated for this award are Toy Story 3, How to Train Your Dragon, The Illusionist, and Howl. The winner of this award will be announced on February 18, 2011. Unfortunately, Summer Wars did not receive a nomination for the Best Animated Feature Film at the Oscars.
There are topics in the anime forum for these news stories. If you'd like to join in on the discussion, there's a link to the forum later in the newsletter. You need to have a BellaOnline forum account in order to post, but signing up for a forum account is free.
|Armitage: Movie Collection - Armitage III||DVD|
|Disgaea: Complete Series||DVD|
|Durarara!! Volume 1||DVD|
|Gantz: Complete Box Set - Classic Line||DVD|
|Ghost Sweeper Mikami Collection 2||DVD|
|Naruto Shippuden Box Set 5||DVD|
|PandoraHearts Volume 2||DVD|
|Pokemon Elements: Collection 1||DVD|
|Sacred Blacksmith: Complete Box Set||DVD|
|Vampire Knight Complete Series||DVD|
|This week, I posted three new articles to the Anime site. The first is an overview article for Ballad of a Shinigami. The second is an overview article for Kaikan Phrase. The third is an overview article for Star Ocean EX. I have added words from Ballad of a Shinigami, Kaikan Phrase and Star Ocean EX to the list for the Anime word games.|
Here's the latest articles from the Anime site at BellaOnline.com.
Ballad of a Shinigami
Ballad of a Shinigami, which is subtitled momo: the god girl of death, is an anime series based on a light novel series by K-Ske Hasegawa.
Kaikan Phrase (which is also known as Sensual Phrase) is an anime series that served as a sort of "prequel" series to the manga created by Mayu Shinjo.
Star Ocean EX
Star Ocean EX is an anime series based on the Star Ocean: The Second Story manga series written and illustrated by Mayumi Azuma (which, in turn, was based on the video game of the same name).
Please visit Anime.bellaonline.com for even more great content about Anime.
To participate in free, fun online discussions, this site has a community forum all about Anime located here -
I hope to hear from you sometime soon, either in the forum or in response to this email message. I thrive on your feedback!
Thank you for your support of the BellaOnline Anime site, newsletter, and forum. Be sure to watch your inbox next Wednesday for the February 2nd edition of the BellaOnline Anime newsletter.
Have fun passing this message along to family and friends, because we all love free knowledge!
Lesley Aeschliman, Anime Editor
One of hundreds of sites at BellaOnline.com