Here are the headlines to come out of the anime industry since the last newsletter:
- Media licensor and distributor T3 Networks Inc. has announced that the company has ceased operations. In the announcement, the company cited problems with licensing, copyright issues, and day-to-day operations. In September 2011, T3 had announced that the company had signed an agreement with anime distributor Viz Media for television and film distribution. It had been T3's intent to market titles on Viz's behalf to television companies and other venues that were looking for programming content.
- Right Stuf, Inc. and Nozomi Entertainment have announced the Dirty Pair: The Original Features DVD Collection that will be released on May 1, 2012. This release includes the Project Eden theatrical film and the Affair of Nolandia and Flight 005 Conspiracy OVAs. In addition to remastered Japanese video, this release will include two English audio options (the Streamline Pictures dub directed by Carl Macek and the ADV Films dub), Japanese audio, English-language subtitles and on-screen translations.
- Mizu Con has announced that its next convention is taking place August 17-19, 2012 at the Doubletree Miami Airport & Convention Center in Miami, Florida. The convention includes costuming contests, informative panels, video gaming rooms, an Artist Alley, video rooms, dealer's room, and more.
- FUNimation has announced that the company will be releasing the Okami-san & Her Seven Companions television anime series on DVD and Blu-ray disc on April 3, 2012. The company also announced the cast for the English dub, which can be found at this thread in the Anime forum.
- FUNimation has announced that the company has suspended production on all future Blu-ray releases of the Dragon Ball Z television anime series. This also includes the Level 2.1 disc that was scheduled to be released on March 27, 2012. The company explained that "due to technical challenges of restoring from the original film frame by frame, we are unable to continue these releases by way of this process." FUNimation also says the company will re-evaluate its process of creating the Blu-rays, as well as researching for more efficient restoration methods.
- Ushicon has announced that the convention will be hosting the American premiere of select episodes of the Tamayura - Hitotose anime, which was directed by Guest of Honor Junichi Sato. Ushicon is taking place February 3-5, 2012 at the Wingate Inn in Round Rock, Texas.
- Aniplex of America is hosting a Meet and Greet event with the English voice cast of Puella Magi Madoka Magica to celebrate the release of the first volume of the series on DVD and Blu-ray in North America. The event is being held on February 17, 2012 at 8:30 p.m. at Anime Jungle #1 in Los Angeles' Little Tokyo. The event is open to the public, fans can ask questions of the voice actors, and there will be an autograph session for fans that have purchased the first volume of the series and bring their proof of purchase to the event.
- Saboten Con has announced that anime voice actor/ADR director Mary Elizabeth McGlynn and and anime voice actor Troy Baker will be guests at their upcoming convention. McGlynn's credits include directing Naruto, Naruto Shippuden, Cowboy Bebop, Wolf's Rain, and Appleseed. Baker's credits include providing voices for such anime series as Fullmetal Alchemist, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, Trinity Blood, Code Geass, and Shin-chan. Saboten Con is taking place September 1-3, 2012 at the Renaissance Glendale Hotel in Phoenix, Arizona.
- The North American anime retailer Right Stuf has revealed that FUNimation has discontinued the following releases: Dragon Ball Z Kai Parts 1-4 (DVD & Blu-ray), Kodocha Seasons 1-2 (DVD), Nerima Daikon Brothers (DVD), and Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles (DVD & Blu-ray). Right Stuf has also said that once their current stocks of these releases are depleted, they will no longer be available.
- FUNimation announced at the company's Ohayocon panel that it has acquired the broadcast, home entertainment, merchandising, mobile, and streaming rights for the Haganai television anime series. FUNimation plans to release the series on DVD and Blu-ray, and will announce the dub cast and director for the show at a later date.
- The New York International Children's Film Festival will be screening the A Letter to Momo and Children Who Chase Lost Voices From Deep Below anime films during their annual festival in March 2012. Tickets for the festival go on sale on February 1, 2012.
- San Diego Comic-Con has announced that animed director Katsuhiro Otomo will be attending the event, which will be taking place July 12-15, 2012 in San Diego, California. Otomo is best known for directing Akira, Steamboy, and Memories.
- Sentai Filmworks has announced that the company has licensed the Zettai Karen Children television anime series, and that it will be releasing the series under the title, Psychic Squad. Sentai is planning to release the series digitally and on subtitled DVD later in 2012.
- Genericon has announced that anime voice actor Johnny Yong Bosch will be a guest at their upcoming convention. His credits include Vash the Stampede in Trigun, Kaneda in Akira, Ichigo Kurosaki in Bleach, and Lelouch Lamperouge in Code Geass. Genericon is taking place March 2-4, 2012 at the Rensselear Polytechnic Institute in Troy, New York.
There are topics in the anime forum for these news stories. If you'd like to join in on the discussion, there's a link to the forum later in the newsletter. You need to have a BellaOnline forum account in order to post, but signing up for a forum account is free.
|EF ~ A Tale of Memories Complete Collection||DVD|
|EF ~ A Tale of Memories Complete Collection||Blu-ray|
|Fairy Tail Set 3||Blu-ray/DVD Combo|
|One Piece: Collection Four||DVD|
|Phanton ~Requiem for the Phantom~ Complete Series||Blu-ray/DVD Combo|
|Yamada's First Time - B Gata H Kei Complete Series||Blu-ray/DVD Combo|
This year, BellaOnline's Anime section is celebrating "The Year of the Dragon Ball" in honor of The Year of the Dragon, by posting a new Dragon Ball-related article every other week during 2012. The second article for the celebration is a review of Dragon Ball Z: Dragon Box Two DVD box set. I have added the Dragon Ball Z: Dragon Box Two DVD box set to the Dragon Ball section of the Anime Shop, and I am also featuring the set as an "Editor's Recommendation" on the main page of the Anime site.
In addition, I have also posted an overview article for the Sands of Destruction anime series, and I have added words from Sands of Destruction to the list of words for the word games at the Anime site.
Here's the latest articles from the Anime site at BellaOnline.com.
Dragon Ball Z Dragon Box Two
Dragon Ball Z: Dragon Box Two contains episodes forty-three through eighty-four of Dragon Ball Z.
Sands of Destruction
Sands of Destruction is an anime series based on a Nintendo DS game.
Please visit Anime.bellaonline.com for even more great content about Anime.
To participate in free, fun online discussions, this site has a community forum all about Anime located here -
You can follow the official Twitter feed for BellaOnline's Anime section.
Become a fan of the Anime at BellaOnline Fan Page at Facebook.
I hope to hear from you sometime soon, either in the forum or in response to this email message. I thrive on your feedback!
Thank you for your support of the BellaOnline Anime site, newsletter, and forum. Be sure to watch your inbox next Wednesday for the February 8th edition of the BellaOnline Anime newsletter.
Have fun passing this message along to family and friends, because we all love free knowledge!
Lesley Aeschliman, Anime Editor
One of hundreds of sites at BellaOnline.com