Here are the headlines to come out of the anime industry since the last newsletter:
- Aniplex of America has announced that the Puella Magi Madoka Magica television anime series is being streamed on Crackle and Hulu. Both sites will be adding new episodes of the series every Wednesday.
- Discotek Media has announced that the company will be releasing Space Adventure Cobra - The Movie on DVD in August 2012. The DVD will include the Japanese launguage soundtrack with English subtitles and the English language soundtrack.
- Sentai Filmworks has announced that the company has licensed the Fate/Stay night: Unlimited Blade Works anime film. The company will release the film digitally, as well as on DVD and Blu-ray Disc, later in 2012.
- Verizon has informed the subscribers of its FiOS television service that it is dropping the FUNimation Channel from the service "on, or after March 15." According to the message, the channel is being dropped due to "very low viewership."
- Section 23 has announced the company's releases for May 2012. Psychic Squad Collection 1 is being released on DVD on May 1, 2012, and will have Japanese language with English subtitles. Guin Saga Complete Collection is being released on DVD and Blu-ray Disc on May 8, 2012, and will have English language and Japanese language with English subtitles. Get Backers Complete Collection is also being released on DVD on May 8, 2012, and will have English language and Japanese language with English subtitles. The Book of Bantorra Collection 1 is being released on DVD on May 15, 2012, and will have English language and Japanese language with English subtitles. Planzet is being released on DVD and Blu-ray Disc on May 22, 2012, and will have English language and Japanese language with English subtitles. Gintama The Motion Picture is being released on DVD and Blu-ray Disc on May 29, 2012, and will have English language and Japanese language with English subtitles.
- FUNimation has announced the English dub of the Shiki television anime series. Right Stuf lists both parts of the series with a release date of May 29, 2012. The full cast listing can be found at BellaOnline's Anime forum.
- AM2 has announced that character designer Toshihiro Kawamoto will be a Guest of Honor at their upcoming convention. Kawamoto is a co-founder of the BONES animation studio, and has worked on such anime as Cowboy Bebop, Wolf's Rain, the first Mobile Suit Gundam series, Fullmetal Alchemist, and Escaflowne: The Movie. AM2 is taking place June 15-17, 2012 at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, California.
- Satoshi Kon's Tokyo Godfathers will be screened on Friday, March 2, 2012 at 7:30 p.m. at the Garde Arts Center in New London, Connecticut, as part of an exhibit called, "Hello Manga!" This exhibit will be running through March 17, and tickets are available from the Garde Arts Center website or at the box office.
- FUNimaton announced at its Katsucon panel that the company has licensed the Sengoku Basara: Samurai Kings: The Movie anime film. The company is currently planning to release the film on home video in the fourth quarter of 2012.
- FUNimation announced at its Katsucon panel that the company has licensed the Level E anime series. While the company did not announce any DVD or Blu-ray release plans, it was announced that the series will be available on various streaming platforms starting in March 2012.
- Anime Blast Chattanooga has announced that its next convention is taking place November 9-11, 2012 at the Chattanooga Convention Center in Chattanooga, Tennessee.
- FUNimation announced at its Katsucon panel that the company will be launching a dedicated mobile video app for its Funimation.com video platform. The app will be available in late March of 2012, and it will allow users to view Funimation.com on mobile devices; however, the company did not specify during the panel which mobile platform the app would be available on. There are both free and paid versions of the app. Both versions will allow Elite Video Subscription holders to view all content on Funimation.com without ads. Without a subscription, the free app includes promotional episodes, clips, trailers and banner adds, while non-subscribers with a paid version of the app will have the ability to see whole series without banner ads. Currently, the company has not decided the pricing for the paid app.
- Studio Ghibli's The Secret World of Arrietty earned as estimated US$8,102,000 during the four-day President's Day holiday weekend in the United States to land at number eight on the box office chart. The film opened in 1,522 theaters, and has an estimated per-screen average of US$4,205. After its first weekend, Arrietty is the eighth highest grossing theatrical anime release in the United States.
- The second 24-hour "Anime Fans Give Back" podcast marathon is coming up on March 10 at 5:00 p.m. EST, and will run through 6:00 p.m. EST on March 11, 2012. The podcast will be taking place live on UStream and at the Anime Fans Give Back website. The aim of the podcast is to raise awareness and to raise money for the victims of the 2011 Tohoku earthquake and tsunami, and the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster. Proceeds will be going to the donor's choice of two GlobalGiving drives: The "Japan Earthquake and Tsunami Relief Fund" goes to disaster recovery and long-tern relief for the victims of the tsunami and earthquake, and the "Help Orphans in Japan Rebuild Lives Post-Tsunami" drive is operated by "Smile Kids Japan" and helps to buy material support for children orphaned by last year's disaster. For more information on this podcast, please visit BellaOnline's Anime forum.
- Sentai Filmworks has announced that the company has licensed the second season of the K-ON!! television anime series. The 26-episode series and the accompanying OVA will be available on DVD and Blu-ray Disc later this year. Sentai is collaborating with Bang Zoom! Entertainment for the English dub.
- Sakura-Con has announced more Japanese anime Guests of Honor: Gen Urobuchi (writer of Fate/Zero and Madoka Magica), Yutaka Minowa (character designer/animation director for Devil May Cry, Ninja Scroll, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust), Atsuhiro Iwakami (producer for Aniplex), Michihiko Suwa (producer of Case Closed and Inuyasha), and Yoshiaki Kawajiri (director of Ninja Scroll, the X television series, and The Animatrix's "Program" short). The convention also announced two more American anime Guests of Honor: Leah Clark (voice actor/ADR director/ADR writer for FUNimation) and Jonathan Klein (vice-president and co-owner of dubbing/translation studio New Generation Pictures). Sakura-Con is taking place April 6-8, 2012 at the Washington State Convention and Trade Center in Seattle, Washington.
- The Los Angeles Animation Festival has added a screening of Grave of the Fireflies; this screening is being hosted by LAAF organizer and musician Sean Lennon. The screening will be taking place on Sunday, March 11, 2012 at 6:00 p.m. at the Regent Showcase at 614 La Brea Avenue in Los Angeles. Tickets are available through the LAAF website.
- AniMinneapolis has announced that anime voice actor Vic Mignogna will be a guest at their upcoming convention. Mignogna's credits include Edward Elric in Fullmetal Alchemist, Tamaki Suou in Ouran High School Host Club, Broly in Dragon Ball Z, and Dark in D.N. Angel. AniMinneapolis is taking place June 29-July 1, 2012 at the Ramada Mall of America in Bloomington, Minnesota.
There are topics in the anime forum for these news stories. If you'd like to join in on the discussion, there's a link to the forum later in the newsletter. You need to have a BellaOnline forum account in order to post, but signing up for a forum account is free.
|Broken Blade Complete Collection||DVD|
|Broken Blade Complete Collection||Blu-ray|
I have posted two new articles to the BellaOnline Anime Site. The first is a review of the Neon Genesis Evangelion Collection 0:8 DVD. The second is an episode listing for Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. I created a new subsection for the BellaOnline Anime site devoted to Neon Genesis Evangelion, and all articles pertaining to that franchise are now located there. I am also featuring Chobits Soundtrack 001 as an Editor's Recommendation on the main page of the Anime site.
Here's the latest articles from the Anime site at BellaOnline.com.
Neon Genesis Evangelion Collection 0:8
Neon Genesis Evangelion Collection 0:8 is a single DVD that contains episodes twenty-four through twenty-six of the series.
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode Listing
This is an episode listing for the Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood anime series.
Please visit Anime.bellaonline.com for even more great content about Anime.
To participate in free, fun online discussions, this site has a community forum all about Anime located here -
You can follow the official Twitter feed for BellaOnline's Anime section.
Become a fan of the Anime at BellaOnline Fan Page at Facebook.
I hope to hear from you sometime soon, either in the forum or in response to this email message. I thrive on your feedback!
Thank you for your support of the BellaOnline Anime site, newsletter, and forum. Be sure to watch your inbox next Wednesday for the February 29th edition of the BellaOnline Anime newsletter.
Have fun passing this message along to family and friends, because we all love free knowledge!
Lesley Aeschliman, Anime Editor
One of hundreds of sites at BellaOnline.com