Here are the headlines to come out of the anime industry since the last newsletter:
- Japanese anime voice actress Sayuri passed away on March 6, 2012 due to cancer at the age of 55. Sayrui's roles included Lady Une in Mobile Suit Gundam Wing, "Twilight" Suzuka in Outlaw Star, and Jenny in Rune Soldier.
- The National Cherry Blossom Festival in Washington, D.C. has announced that it will hold a Studio Ghibli film marathon in honor of the festival's centennial. The marathon will be held April 15, 2012 from 10:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. at the Smithsonian Institution's Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery. The films being screened in the marathon are Ponyo, Porco Rosso, Princess Mononoke, and Spirited Away. This event is free of charge.
- Centennial High School Anime Club is hosting Otakufest 2012 in Ellicott City, Maryland, and the convention is taking place 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Activities at this one-day convention include interactive workshops and panels, insane otaku challenges, photographer scavenger hunts, videogame tournaments, anime screenings, manga libraries, karaoke, anime merchandise, and an Artist Alley. For more information, visit the Otakufest website.
- The Box Office Mojo website is reporting that The Secret World of Arrietty has earned US $106,361 on Thursday, March 8, 2012, which brings the film's gross-to-date total to US$17,155,268. This gross now pushes Arrietty past the box office total for Pokemon 3 - The Movie (which grossed US$17,052,128 in 2001). The Secret World of Arrietty is now the fourth highest-grossing anime film in the United States. On March 11, The Box Office Mojo website reported that Arrietty earned an estimated US$402,000 during the March 9-11 weekend; during its fourth weekend in American theaters, the film fell from #14 to out of the top 20 at the box office. Arrietty's theater count dropped by 930 to just 501 remaining screens, and the film had a per-screen average of US$802. Ticket sales fell 72.9% from the third weekend. The film's overall gross is now at US$17,557,000.
- Discotek Media has announced that the company has licensed the 1993 Casshan: Robot Hunter OVA series, which is a four-part remake of the classic 1973-1974 Shinzo Ningen Casshan television anime series. Discotek plans to release all four episodes with English subtitles and dubbing later in 2012.
- The Chesapeake High School Band Boosters in Pasadena, Maryland, are hosting an Anime Day fundraiser on March 31, 2012 from 10 a.m.-8:00 p.m. There will be anime film screenings, as well as cosplay and a trivia contest. Admission for this event is $10, and all proceeds will support the Chesapeake High School Band program. For more information, visit the event's Facebook page.
- Discotek Media has announced that company will be releasing the entire Samurai Pizza Cats anime series on home video. The company is planning to release separate subtitled and dubbed releases of the series via box sets; the dubbed release will include 52 episodes, while the subtitled version will include 54 episodes. The pricing and number of box sets are yet to be determined.
- Discotek Media has announced that the company has licensed the Shin Getter Robo vs. Neo Getter Robo OVA that was released in 2000. The company will release the anime on DVD first, then followed by Blu-ray Disc later.
There are topics in the anime forum for these news stories. If you'd like to join in on the discussion, there's a link to the forum later in the newsletter. You need to have a BellaOnline forum account in order to post, but signing up for a forum account is free.
|Bleach Box Set 12||DVD|
|Kekkaishi Set 4||DVD|
|Mardock Scramble Director's Cut||DVD|
|Mardock Scramble Director's Cut||Blu-ray|
|One Piece Collection 5||DVD|
This year, BellaOnline's Anime section is celebrating "The Year of the Dragon Ball" in honor of The Year of the Dragon, by posting a new Dragon Ball-related article every other week during 2012. The fifth article for the celebration is a review of the Dragon Ball GT Season Two DVD box set.
In addition, I have also posted a biography for Sayuri, an overview article for the Bodacious Space Pirates anime series, and a review for the Case Closed Season One DVD box set. I have added the Case Closed Season One box set to the Anime Shop, and I am also featuring it as an "Editor's Recommendation" on the main page of the Anime site. I have also added words from Bodacious Space Pirates to the list for the Anime word games.
Here's the latest articles from the Anime site at BellaOnline.com.
Dragon Ball GT Season Two Box Set
The Dragon Ball GT Season Two box set includes five DVDs that contain the final thirty episodes of the series, as well as the Dragon Ball GT television special, A Hero’s Legacy.
Biography of Sayuri
This is a biography for Japanese anime voice actress Sayuri.
Bodacious Space Pirates
Bodacious Space Pirates is an anime series based on a light novel series written by Yuichi Sasamoto.
Case Closed Season One Box Set
The Case Closed Season One DVD box set is a four-disc set that contains the first twenty-six episodes of the Case Closed anime series.
Please visit Anime.bellaonline.com for even more great content about Anime.
To participate in free, fun online discussions, this site has a community forum all about Anime located here -
You can follow the official Twitter feed for BellaOnline's Anime section.
Become a fan of the Anime at BellaOnline Fan Page at Facebook.
I hope to hear from you sometime soon, either in the forum or in response to this email message. I thrive on your feedback!
Thank you for your support of the BellaOnline Anime site, newsletter, and forum. Be sure to watch your inbox next Wednesday for the March 21st edition of the BellaOnline Anime newsletter.
Have fun passing this message along to family and friends, because we all love free knowledge!
Lesley Aeschliman, Anime Editor
One of hundreds of sites at BellaOnline.com