Here are the headlines to come out of the anime industry since the last newsletter:
- FUNimation has announced that the company will be selling the Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood OVA episodes in a Blu-ray Disc collection on May 22, 2012.
- 4Kids Entertainment has announced that there has been an amicable settlement for the lawsuit between 4Kids Entertainment and Asatsu-DK and TV Tokyo over the license for the Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise. According to the company, the licensing agreement between the three parties will continue to be "in full force and effect with 4Kids continuing to serve as the exclusive licensing agent for the merchandise licensing, television broadcast, and home video rights to the Yu-Gi-Oh! property throughout the world outside of Asia." The Hollywood Reporter has reported that Asatsu-DK and TV Tokyo will pay US$8 million to 4Kids Entertainment as a part of the settlement.
- Crunchyroll will be having its fourth annual Global Shinkai Day, which will run from March 9-11, 2012. Global Shinkai Day showcases three of Makoto Shinkai's films: 5 Centimeters Per Second, The Place Promised in Our Early Days, and Voices of a Distant Star. All of the films will be available to worldwide audiences except in Japan.
- The Box Office Mojo website has reported that The Secret World of Arrietty earned US$186,421 on Thursday, March 1, 2012 to give the film a gross-to-date total of US$15,268,380. This pushes Arrietty's box office totals past Ponyo's US$15,090,399. The Secret World of Arrietty is now the highest-grossing Studio Ghibli film in the United States, and it ranks as the fifth highest-grossing anime film in the United States. The Box Office Mojo website also reported that Arrietty earned an estimated US$1,455,000 during the March 2-4, 2012 weekend. During its third weekend in theaters, the film fell to #14 at the box office, its theater count dropped by 91 to 1,431 and the film had a per-screen average of US$1,017. Ticket sales also fell 66.6% from the second weekend. Arrietty is now within US$400,000 of Pokemon 3 - The Movie, which is the fourth highest-grossing anime film in the United States.
- Crunchyroll has announced that the site will be streaming the Nyarko-san: Another Crawling Chaos television anime series outside of Asia when it premieres in Japan in April 2012. The site also noted that it began streaming the first five episodes from the previous Haiyoru! Nyaruani net anime series on March 5, 2012 at 3:00 p.m. EST; the final four episodes of that series will stream the following week. In two weeks, Crunchyroll will stream the Haiyoru! Nyaruani: Remember My Mr. Lovecraft television anime series.
- NIS America has announced that the company has licensed the 13-episode Otome Yokai Zakuro television anime series. The company will release the complete series with English subtitles in a premium edition format on June 12, 2012. The two-disc DVD set will also include a 36-page hardcover art book.
There are topics in the anime forum for these news stories. If you'd like to join in on the discussion, there's a link to the forum later in the newsletter. You need to have a BellaOnline forum account in order to post, but signing up for a forum account is free.
|Fate/Zero Blu-ray Box 1||Blu-ray|
|Grave of the Fireflies||DVD|
|Hetalia - Axis Powers Complete Series (Seasons 1-2)||DVD|
|House of Five Leaves Complete Series Box||DVD|
|Kimikiss: Pure Rouge Complete Collection||DVD|
|Sands of Destruction Complete Series S.A.V.E. Edition||DVD|
I have posted three new articles to the BellaOnline Anime Site. The first is an overview article for the Chihayafuru anime series. The second is an overview article for the Chaos;Head anime series. The third is a review of The End of Evangelion. I have added words from Chihayafuru and Chaos;Head to the list for the word games, and I am also featuring Chobits Soundtrack 002 as an Editor's Recommendation on the main page of the Anime site. I also created a new subsection of the Anime site that is devoted to the Bleach anime series.
Here's the latest articles from the Anime site at BellaOnline.com.
Chihayafuru is an anime series based on a manga by Yuki Suetsugu.
Chaos;Head is an anime series based on a Japanese visual novel.
The End of Evangelion
Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion is a film for the Neon Genesis Evangelion anime series that was directed by Hideaki Anno and Kazuya Tsurumaki.
Please visit Anime.bellaonline.com for even more great content about Anime.
To participate in free, fun online discussions, this site has a community forum all about Anime located here -
You can follow the official Twitter feed for BellaOnline's Anime section.
Become a fan of the Anime at BellaOnline Fan Page at Facebook.
I hope to hear from you sometime soon, either in the forum or in response to this email message. I thrive on your feedback!
Thank you for your support of the BellaOnline Anime site, newsletter, and forum. Be sure to watch your inbox next Wednesday for the March 14th edition of the BellaOnline Anime newsletter.
Have fun passing this message along to family and friends, because we all love free knowledge!
Lesley Aeschliman, Anime Editor
One of hundreds of sites at BellaOnline.com