Here are the headlines to come out of the anime industry since the last newsletter:
- Sentai Filmworks has announced that the company has licensed the tsuritama television anime series. The company says it will release the series "through select digital outlets soon with a home video release to follow."
- Documents filed to the US Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York reveal that North American anime distributor 4Kids is planning to sell "substantially all of [their] Yu-Gi-Oh!-related assets" to KidsCo Media Ventures LLC, a company that was incorporated on April 4, 2012, for ten million dollars. While KidsCo was incorporated in Delaware, the address listed in the documents is identical to the address for the Saban Capital Group (whose subsidiaries own the Power Rangers franchise), and contact emails for the company are tied to the "saban.com" domain name. As part of the bankruptcy proceedings, an auction will be held for these assets if a qualified bidder appears, but KidsCo is considered a "stalking horse bidder." The primary asset in the deal is referred to as the "Yu-Gi-Oh! Business," which is defined as "business relating to and commercial Use of Yu-Gi-Oh!, including the rights granted under the Yu-Gi-Oh! Grant Agreements, all other Purchased Assets relating to Yu-Gi-Oh!, The CW Block and [4Kids'] right to Use and profit from the foregoing and the Yu-Gi-Oh! Related Intellectual Property, the Yu-Gi-Oh! brand, and Yu-Gi-Oh! Productions." The proposed sale also includes the sale of rights relating to the Dragon Ball Z series, including 52 episodes of the television show, as well as the company's rights relating to Dragon Ball Z Kai. The closing date for the sale described in the agreement is June 30, 2012.
- The streaming website Niconico has removed several titles that it used to stream, or planned to stream, from its lineup. The titles include those from its partnership with FUNimation, such as The Future Diary, Guilty Crown, Last Exile: Fam, the Silver Wing, and Shakugan no Shana III (Final). Many of these titles are still streaming on funimation.com. Niconico later posted a notice on their site, saying, "We are currently updating [our] programming and website. We appreciate your understanding if there are shows that are no longer available in the meantime."
- Sentai Filmworks has announced that the company has licensed the Dusk Maiden of Amnesia television anime series. The series will be released "through select digital outlets soon with a home video release to follow."
- Right Stuf, Inc. and Nozomi Entertainment have announced that they will be releasing the Rental Magica Part 1 DVD set on August 7, 2012. The set will include the first twelve episodes of the series in both "broadcast order" (as seen on Japanese television and on the Japanese DVD release) and in "chronological order" (according to the timeline presented in the novels that served as the series' inspiration). The set will be housed in a single DVD keepcase. This episodes in this 4-disc set have Japanese audio with English subtitles, and will have English on-screen translations. For special features, there are character bios, special promo, commercial spot, clean opening, clean closing, a trailer for Rental Magica Part 2, and Nozomi trailers.
- AM2 has announced anime screenings for their upcoming convention. Titles being screened during the convention include: Inu X Boku Secret Service, Hunter X Hunter, Chihayafuru, Sekai Ichi Hatsukoi, Poyo Poyo, Space Brothers, Usagi Drop, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Neo Angelique Abyss, Oreimo, Another, Fate/Zero, Nisemonogatari, Black Jack, Giant Killing, Hana-Saku Iroha, Hayate no Gotoku!, Parasite Dolls, Otome Yokai Zakuro, Pretty Cure, Peeping Life, Super Robot Wars OG: The Inspector, and The Mystic Archives of Dantalian. AM2 will be taking place June 15-17, 2012 at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, California.
- GKids has announced that Makoto Shinkai's Children Who Chase Lost Voices from Deep Below will be screening at New York City's IFC Theater. Show times are April 21 and 22 as well as April 28 and 29 at 11:00 a.m.
- Crunchyroll has restored its streams of the second season of the Phi Brain: Puzzle of God television anime series.
- Animazement has announced three more Japanese guests for its 2012 convention. Voice actor Toshio Furukawa is known for providing the voices for Piccolo in Dragon Ball, Ataru Moroboshi in Urusei Yatsura, and Portgas D. Ace in One Piece. Ichiro Itano served as the mechanical design director for The Super Dimension Fortress Macross, and was the animation director for Megazone 23, Gantz, and Blassreiter. Fumiko Orisaka is a voice actress known for providing the voices for Rukia Kuchiki in Bleach, Shirley Fenette and Ayame Futabe in Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, and Kyuubei Yagyuu in Gintama. Animazement is taking place May 25-27, 2012 in North Carolina.
- FUNimation has announced that the CG anime film Dragon Age: Dawn of the Seeker will screen for one night only in four American and Canadian cities on May 24, 2012: Edmonton, AB at the Metro Cinema, New York, NY at the Anthology Film Archives, San Francisco, CA at the 4 Star Theatre, and Los Angeles, CA at the Downtown Independent. Each screening will start at 7:00 p.m. local time, and the first 100 attendees will receive a T-shirt.
- Anime News Network is reporting that distribution company GKids is planning to release the A Letter to Momo anime film in theaters throughout the United States at the end of 2012.
- FUNimation Entertainment and Milyoni announced that they have launched a Social Cinema app on FUNimation's Facebook page to allow fans to stream anime series and films on Facebook. The app allows users to rent anime episode in 4-6 episode "bundles," and that the bundles allow for an unlimited amount of views for 48 hours. Users can pay for bundles with PayPal or a credit card. Costs for the bundles range from US$0.99 to US$3.99. As of this writing, the Social Cinema app has 23 anime series or films, as well as two live-action films, available for rent.
- Bandai Entertainment has announced that the Sword of the Stranger and the Jin-Roh anime films are available for streaming on the free, ad-supported Hulu and Hulu Plus subscription service.
There are topics in the anime forum for these news stories. If you'd like to join in on the discussion, there's a link to the forum later in the newsletter. You need to have a BellaOnline forum account in order to post, but signing up for a forum account is free.
|Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Collection 1||DVD|
|Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Collection 1||Blu-ray|
|Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos||DVD|
|Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos||DVD/Blu-ray Combo|
|Golgo 13 Collection 3||DVD|
|Jyu-Oh-Sei Complete Series S.A.V.E. Edition||DVD|
This year, BellaOnline's Anime section is celebrating "The Year of the Dragon Ball" in honor of The Year of the Dragon, by posting a new Dragon Ball-related article every other week during 2012. The eighth article for the celebration is a review of the Dragon Ball Z Dragon Box Four DVD box set. This set has been added to the Dragon Ball section of the Anime Shop, and the set is being featured as an "Editor's Recommendation" on the main page of the Anime site.
I have also been watching the simulcasts of some of the new anime series from Japan for the Spring 2012 season. I have viewed and posted overview articles for the Upotte!!, Kids on the Slope, Tsuritama, Medaka Box, Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine, Dusk Maiden of Amnesia, and Jormungand anime series. I also added words from Upotte!!, Kids on the Slope, Tsuritama, Medaka Box, Dusk Maiden of Amnesia,a nd Jormungand to the list of words for the Anime word games.
In addition, I have also posted a a review of the Mobile Suit Gundam Complete Collection 1 DVD box set.
Here's the latest articles from the Anime site at BellaOnline.com.
Dragon Ball Z Dragon Box Four
Dragon Ball Z: Dragon Box Four contains episodes one hundred and twenty-seven through one hundred and sixty-eight of Dragon Ball Z.
Upotte!! is an original net animation (ONA) that is based on a manga by Kitsune Tennouji.
Kids on the Slope
Kids on the Slope is an anime series based on a manga by Yuki Kodama.
Tsuritama is an anime series produced by A-1 Pictures and directed by Kenji Nakamura.
Medaka Box is an anime series based on a manga written by Nisio Isin and illustrated by Akira Akatsuki.
Lupin III The Woman Called Fujiko Mine
Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine is the fourth anime series to be based on Monkey Punch's Lupin III manga series.
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia is an anime series based on a manga written and illustrated by Maybe.
Jormungand is an anime series based on a manga series written and illustrated by Keitaro Takahashi.
Mobile Suit Gundam Complete Collection 1
The Mobile Suit Gundam Complete Collection 1 DVD box set includes four DVDs with twenty-one episodes of the first Mobile Suit Gundam anime series.
Please visit Anime.bellaonline.com for even more great content about Anime.
To participate in free, fun online discussions, this site has a community forum all about Anime located here -
You can follow the official Twitter feed for BellaOnline's Anime section.
Become a fan of the Anime at BellaOnline Fan Page at Facebook.
I hope to hear from you sometime soon, either in the forum or in response to this email message. I thrive on your feedback!
Thank you for your support of the BellaOnline Anime site, newsletter, and forum. Be sure to watch your inbox next Wednesday for the May 2nd edition of the BellaOnline Anime newsletter.
Have fun passing this message along to family and friends, because we all love free knowledge!
Lesley Aeschliman, Anime Editor
One of hundreds of sites at BellaOnline.com