Here are the headlines to come out of the anime industry since the last newsletter:
- Independent and experimental animator Nobuhiro Aihara passed away on April 30, 2011 at the age of 66 while on a trip at a hotel in Denpasar on Bali, Indonesia. He was found by a fellow traveler at the hotel, and the authorities determined that Aihara passed away due to natural causes.
- Shigeru Okada, a former executive and producer for the Toei Studio, passed away from pneumonia at the age of 87 on May 9, 2011.
- The official schedule for Disney XD is listing that the channel will be airing Naruto Shippuden: The Movie on Sunday, May 15 at 8:00 p.m.
- It has been announced that Voltron Force, the new Voltron series, will make its premiere on Nicktoons on June 16, 2011 at 8:30 p.m. EST / 7:30 p.m. CST.
- FanimeCon has announced that the convention will host Japanese voice actor Tohru Furuya as a Guest of Honor, and that he will be taking part in an unspecified number of panels. Tohru Furuya's credits include Amuro Ray from the first Mobile Suit Gundam story, Mamoru Chiba/Tuxedo Mask in Sailor Moon, Yamcha in Dragon Ball, Pegasus Seiya in Saint Seiya, and Ribbons Almark in Mobile Suit Gundam 00. FanimeCon is taking place May 27-30 in San Jose, California.
- FUNimation has announced the voice actors for the English dub of the Trigun: Badlands Rumble anime film. The voice actors for the main roles are: Johnny Young Bosch as Vash the Stampede, Luci Christian as Meryl Stryfe, Trina Nishimura as Milly Thompson. Brad Hawkins as Nicholas D. Wolfwood, Colleen Clinkenbeard as Amelia, and John Swasey as Gasback.
- Viz Media began streaming Naoki Urasawa's Monster anime series on their website on Friday, May 6. The series also began streaming on HULU. The first fifteen episodes, which are uncut and subtitled, are available immediately. Fifteen new episodes will debut each week, with episodes 61-74 streaming on June 3rd. Naoki Urasawa's Monster is rated TV-MA.
- Aniplex of America began streaming the Occult Academy television anime series on Hulu on Friday, May 6. Crunchyroll had previously provided a simulcast of the series from July-September 2010.
- Viz Media will start streaming the Reborn! anime series in June 2011. The series will stream on Hulu, in addition to Hulu-embedded videos on the Viz anime website. At this time, the stream is for an uncut and subtitled version of Reborn!.
- Aniplex USA has announced that Blake Lewis, a runner-up from American Idol, is providing the voice for the character Kasuka Heiwajima in the English dub for the twenty-fifth episode of Durarara!!. Aniplex USA will be releasing the Durarara!! DVD that includes this episode on May 31, 2011.
- World Events Productions is teaming up with Classic Media in a new DVD deal for Voltron. The first release in this new partnership is a single-disc release of the first seven Lion Force Voltron episodes. The disc will retail for $12.99, and is scheduled to be released on August 16, 2011.
- North American distributor Section23 Films has announced the company's August 2011 releases. Maid-Sama DVD Collection 2 is being released on August 2, Kobato. DVD Collection 1 is being released on August 9, Night Raid 1931 Complete Collection is being released on DVD and Blu-ray on August 16, Hyakka Ryoran Samurai Girls is being released on DVD and Blu-ray on August 23, and Neo Angelique Abyss DVD Complete Collection is being released on August 30.
- FanimeCon has announced two more guests for its upcoming 2011 convention. The first is Gainax studio co-founder Hiroyuki Yamaga. He wrote and directed The Wings of Honneamise, the studio's first feature film; he has also been involved in almost every Gainax anime production since. The other guest is voice actress/singer Halko Momoi. She has provided voices in more than 30 anime, including Steins;Gate, Ai Yori Aoshi, My Bride is a Mermaid, Tales of the Abyss, and Nurse Witch Komugi.
There are topics in the anime forum for these news stories. If you'd like to join in on the discussion, there's a link to the forum later in the newsletter. You need to have a BellaOnline forum account in order to post, but signing up for a forum account is free.
|Chobits: The Complete Series (Classic)||DVD|
|Chobits: The Complete Series (Classic)||Blu-ray|
|Coffee Samurai/Hoshizora Kiseki||DVD|
|Kiddy Grade: Box Set (Classic)||DVD|
|Pokemon: Diamond & Pearl Galactic Battles 3||DVD|
|Pokemon: Diamond & Pearl Galactic Battles 4||DVD|
|Pokemon: Diamond & Pearl Galactic Battles 3& 4 Box Set||DVD|
|Shigurui: Death Frenzy (Classic)||DVD|
|Shigurui: Death Frenzy (Classic)||Blu-ray|
This week, I posted four new articles to the Anime site. The first is a biography for animator Nobuhiro Aihara. The second is a biography for Shigeru Okada. The third is an overview article for the Coyote Ragtime Show anime series. The fourth is an overview article for the Night Head Genesis anime series. I have also added words from Coyote Ragtime Show and Night Head Genesis to the list for the anime word games. The Dragon Ball Season Two DVD box set has been added to the Anime Shop, and it is also an "Editor's Recommendation" on the main page of the Anime site.
Here's the latest articles from the Anime site at BellaOnline.com.
Biography of Nobuhiro Aihara
This is a biography for Nobuhiro Aihara, an independent and experimental animator.
Biography of Shigeru Okada
This is a biography for former Toei executive and producer Shigeru Okada.
Coyote Ragtime Show
Coyote Ragtime Show is an anime series produced by ufotable and directed by Takuya Nonaka.
Night Head Genesis
Night Head Genesis is an anime series that was adapted from a 1992 Japanese TV drama titled Night Head.
Please visit Anime.bellaonline.com for even more great content about Anime.
To participate in free, fun online discussions, this site has a community forum all about Anime located here -
You can follow the official Twitter feed for BellaOnline's Anime section.
Become a fan of the Anime at BellaOnline Fan Page at Facebook.
I hope to hear from you sometime soon, either in the forum or in response to this email message. I thrive on your feedback!
Thank you for your support of the BellaOnline Anime site, newsletter, and forum. Be sure to watch your inbox next Wednesday for the May 18th edition of the BellaOnline Anime newsletter.
Have fun passing this message along to family and friends, because we all love free knowledge!
Lesley Aeschliman, Anime Editor
One of hundreds of sites at BellaOnline.com