Here are the headlines to come out of the anime industry since the last newsletter:
- Anime music composer Seichiro Uno passed away due to heart failure in a Tokyo hospital on April 26, 2011. He was 84 years old at the time of his passing. Uno composed music for such anime series as Moomin and Marvelous Melmo, as well as the anime films Puss 'n Boots and Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves, among other works.
- Anime art director Mitsuki Nakamura passed away on May 16, 2011 at the age of 67. He was responsible for the background art, visuals, and mechanical designs for several anime classics, such as Gatchaman, Mobile Suit Gundam, Fist of the North Star, among others.
- Anime Central has announced that their 2011 convention will host Bob Shirohata, Mika Nomura, and Stephanie Sheh. Bob Shirohata is the director of Hetalia - Axis Powers, and has also directed Diamond Daydreams, Gravitation, and Let's Dance With Papa. Mika Nomura is the producer of Hetalia - Axis Powers, and has also produced When They Cry, Umineko no Naku Koro ni, and Steins;Gate. Stephanie Sheh is an American voice actress, whose credits include providing the English voices for Hinata in Naruto and Yui in K-ON!, among other roles. Anime Central will be taking place May 20-22 in Rosemont, Illinois.
- Viz Media has announced that the first season of The Prince of Tennis will be available on Amazon Instant Video starting on Wednesday, May 18, 2011. Each episode will be available for purchase at $1.99 each.
- Nekocon has announced that the convention is hosting FUNimation Entertainment as an Industry Guest for their 2011 convention. The company will be in the dealers room and will be providing panels. Nekocon is taking place November 4-6, 2011 in Hampton, Virginia.
- Otakon has announced three guests for their 2011 convention: Tony Oliver, Lisa Ortiz, and Tom Wayland. Tony Oliver has provided the English dub voices for such characters as Rick Hunter in Robotech, Shinbo in Chobits, Lupin in Lupin III, and Ulquiorra in Bleach. Lisa Ortiz has provided the English dub voices for sich characters as Line Inverse in The Slayers, Oshawott in Pokemon: Black & White, Amy in Sonic the Hedgehog, Serenity Wheeler in Yu-Gi-Oh!, and Shiori in Revolutionary Girl Utena. Tom Wayland has provided the English dub voices for such characters as Crow in Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's, Flint, Reggie, and Arceus in Pokemon, and Kakuton in Ikki Tousen. Otakon 2011 will be held July 29-31, 2011 at the Baltimore Convention Center in Baltimore, Maryland.
- The Anime Defense Project has announced that the organization will be hosting a new convention called ANIMAINE, which will be taking place November 18-20, 2011 at the Best Western Merry Manor Inn & Governor's Conference Center in South Portland, Maine. Registration opens in early May 2011. If you bring a badge from Anime Boston 2011, BakuretsuCon 2011, PortConMaine 2011, or Another Anime Con 2011, you will be able to get $5.00 off eligible registration.
- The AM2 convention has announced that it will be screening some anime titles during this year's convention, which is taking place July 1-3, 2011 at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, California. The titles being screened that have been announced so far are: Arakawa Under the Bridge, Blue Exorcist, Durarara!!, Katanagatari, Our Home's Fox Deity, PandoraHearts, Persona Trinity Soul, Porco Rosso, Ponyo, Robotech: The Macross Saga, R.O.D. The TV, Street Fighter: Alpha, The Garden of Sinners Chapter 1, Tokyo Zombie, Toradora!, and Wagnaria!.
- FUNimation has announced that company has acquired the home entertainment, broadcast, digital, and merchandising rights to the Princess Jellyfish television anime series. The company is planning to release the series on DVD and Blu-ray in 2012.
- FanimeCon has announced that Gainax animator Fumio Iida (also known as SUEZEN) will be a Guest of Honor at their convention in San Jose, California taking place May 27-30. Iida will be taking part in Gainax-related panels at autograph sessions during the convention. At Gainax, Iida has served as a key animator or animation director on such titles as Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance and The Wings of Honneamise. Iida has also worked as an animator for Tatsunoko, Walt Disney Japan, and 20th Century Fox.
- FanimeCon is holding a special event to raise funds for the victims of the Japan's March 11 earthquake disaster. In addition, the convention has announced the three charities that will benefit from the annual charity auction: the Cancer Support Community, the American Red Cross of Silicon Valley, and the APA of San Francisco.
- The Sangawa Project has announced that English anime dub actor Matthew K. Miller will be a guest at this year's convention. Miller's credits include providing the voice for Tenchi Masaki in Tenchi Muyo!, Ichiro Ogami in Sakura Wars, and Schneider and Shuji in Ruroni Kenshin. Miller will be participating in autograph signings, workshops, and other programming at the convention. The Sangawa Project is taking place July 15-17 at the Best Western Parkway Center Inn in Greentree, Pennsylvania.
- Hulu is now streaming all twenty-four English-subbed episodes of the Needless anime series, and these streaming episodes are available for free. While The Anime Network is also streaming Needless, only the first and second episodes are available to viewers who are not paid subscribers.
- Robert's Corner Anime Store is reporting that Media Blasters will be releasing a Blu-ray of the first fourteen episodes of the Twelve Kingdoms anime series. The Blu-ray is currently scheduled for a July 26 release, with a suggested retail price of US$49.99. The Right Stuf retailer is also listing this upcoming release.
- DC Anime Club will be hosting anime workshops on Saturday, May 28 from 2-5 p.m. at the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial Library in Room A5 on the A Level of the library. The workshops include how to draw manga, how to create your own anime, how to create your own costume based on anime and manga characters, ans video editing for anime music videos. The event, which is free and open to the public, is for ages 13 and up.
- On May 13, 2011, 4Kids filed a motion requesting that Shelley C. Chapman, the judge for the company's bankruptcy case, issue an order to suspend co-licensor Asatsu DK's attempts to exercise control over the Yu-Gi-Oh! anime franchise in the United States. In the motion, 4Kids states that Asatsu DX will promote Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal (the fourth anime series in the franchise) at the Licensing Expo in June. 4Kids also argues that irreparable harm would be caused to the company if TV Tokyo and NAS grant North American Yu-Gi-Oh! licenses previously held by 4Kids to other companies.
There are topics in the anime forum for these news stories. If you'd like to join in on the discussion, there's a link to the forum later in the newsletter. You need to have a BellaOnline forum account in order to post, but signing up for a forum account is free.
|Allison & Lillia Generation One||DVD|
|Baccano! Blu-ray Disc Box||Blu-ray|
|Excel Saga: Complete Series||DVD|
|Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit Part 2||Blu-ray|
|Pokemon Heroes / Pokemon: Destiny Deoxys Double Feature||Blu-ray|
|Project A-Ko Movie||DVD|
|Vampire Knight Guilty 2||DVD|
This week, I posted three new articles to the Anime site. The first is a biography for anime art director Mitsuki Nakamura. The second is an overview article for the Shining Tears X Wind anime series. The third is a review of the Naruto Shippuden Box Set 1 Season One: Original & Uncut DVD box set. I have also added words from Shining Tears X Wind to the list for the anime word games. I am also featuring the Cowboy Bebop Remix Volume 3 DVD as an "Editor's Recommendation" on the main page of the Anime site.
Here's the latest articles from the Anime site at BellaOnline.com.
Biography of Mitsuki Nakamura
This is a biography for anime art director Mitsuki Nakamura.
Shining Tears X Wind
Shining Tears X Wind is an anime based on the PlayStation 2 games Shining Tears and Shining Wind.
Naruto Shippuden Box Set 1
Naruto Shippuden Box Set 1 Season One: Original & Uncut is a three DVD set that contains the first thirteen episodes of Naruto Shippuden.
Please visit Anime.bellaonline.com for even more great content about Anime.
To participate in free, fun online discussions, this site has a community forum all about Anime located here -
You can follow the official Twitter feed for BellaOnline's Anime section.
Become a fan of the Anime at BellaOnline Fan Page at Facebook.
I hope to hear from you sometime soon, either in the forum or in response to this email message. I thrive on your feedback!
Thank you for your support of the BellaOnline Anime site, newsletter, and forum. Be sure to watch your inbox next Wednesday for the May 25th edition of the BellaOnline Anime newsletter.
Have fun passing this message along to family and friends, because we all love free knowledge!
Lesley Aeschliman, Anime Editor
One of hundreds of sites at BellaOnline.com