Here are the headlines to come out of the anime industry since the last newsletter:
- Voice actress Tomoko Kawakami passed away on June 9, 2011 at the age of 41 after a long bout with illness. The Sankei Shimbun has reported that Kawakami had been undergoing treatment for ovarian cancer. Some of Tomoko Kawakami's roles include Utena Tenjou in Revolutionary Girl Utena, Athena Glory in Aria the Animation, Rosette Christopher in Chrono Crusade, Soi Fong in Bleach, and Hikaru Shindou in Hikaru no Go.
- Anime Midwest has announced that voice actor Sean Schemmel will be a guest at the 2011 convention. His credits include Dragon Ball Z Kai and Dragon Ball GT (Goku, King Kai, and Nail), Shaman King (Amidamaru and Rio), Ninja Nonsense (Onsokumaru), the Pokemon film Zoroark: Master of Illusions (Grings Kodai), and Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Bonds Beyond Time (Paradox). Anime Midwest will be taking place July 15-17, 2011 at the Pheasant Run Resort in St. Charles, Illinois.
- Matsuricon has announced that voice actors Veronica Taylor and Stephanie Young will be guests at their upcoming convention. Veronica Taylor's credits include Ash and May on Pokemon, Max on Dinosaur King, Carly on Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's, Amelia on Slayers, and Yukino in His and Hers Circumstances. Stephanie Young's credits include Clare in Claymore, Nico Robin in One Piece, Mana in Negima!, Sophia in Aquarion, and Itoko Osakabe in School Rumble. Matsuricon is taking place August 19-21, 2011 at the Hyatt Regency in Downtown Columbus, Ohio.
- Anime USA has announced that voice actor J. Michael Tatum will be attending their 2011 convention. His credits include Rikichi in Samurai 7, Kyoya Otori in Ouran High School Host Club, Sebastian Michaelis in Black Butler, Scar in Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, and Zarbon in Dragon Ball Z Kai. Anime USA will be taking place November 18-20 at the Hyatt Regency Crystal City in Arlington, Virginia.
- San Japan has announced that voice actors Caitlin Glass, Bryan Massey, and Carli Mosier will be guests at their 2011 convention. Caitlin Glass' credits include Winry Rockbell in Fullmetal Alchemist, Haruhi Fujioka in Ouran High School Host Club, Triela in Gunslinger Girl, and Takane in Burst Angel. Bryan Massey's credits include Oolong in Dragon Ball Z Kai, Ladd Russo in Baccano!, Monkey D. Dragon in One Piece, and Takuro in Linebarrels of Iron. Carli Mosier's credits include Kei in Godannar, Yuri Kurosu in Magikano, Febronia in Xenosaga: The Animation, and Rina in Mermaid Melody: Pichi Pichi Pitch. San Japan is taking place August 5-7, 2011 at the San Antonio Marriott Rivercenter Hotel.
- Anime Expo has announced that anime director Seiji Mizushima will be a Guest of Honor at this year's convention. Mr. Mizushima will participate in a meet-and-greet, an autograph signing, and a focus panel. Mr. Mizushima's credits include Generator Gawl, Fullmetal Alchemist, Shaman King, Slayers Next, and Mobile Suit Gundam 00 the Movie: A Wakening of the Trailblazer. Anime Expo is taking place July 1-4, 2011 at the LA Convention Center.
- Adult Swim's online schedule is listing the American premiere of Durarara!! late night on June 25 (effectively early morning on June 26); the airings are listed at 12:30 a.m. and 4:30 a.m. EDT/PDT.
- Anime Expo has announced that voice actors Toshiyuki Morikawa and Taliesin Jaffe will be Guests of Honor at their 2011 convention. They will participate in a meet-and-greet, autograph signing and focus panel. Morikawa's credits include Berserk, Bleach, Naruto, Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, and One Piece. Jaffe's credits include DearS, Speed Grapher, and Paranoia Agent. This year's convention is taking place July 1-4, 2011 at the LA Convention Center.
- A member of FUNimation's acquisitions team has posted on the company's forums that they will not be renewing the licenses or acquire the sequel projects for When They Cry - Higurashi and The Familiar of Zero. Both of these properties had previously been licensed by Geneon Entertainment; when Geneon discontinued in-house production of its licenses in 2007, FUNimation began distributing some of the company's former titles.
- FUNimation has announced that the company has licensed the We, Without Wings - Under the Innocent Sky television anime series. The series follows three different protagonists through different times of day; all three stories are interlinked somehow but exactly how is only revealed over time; it's based on an adult visual novel by NAVEL.
- Aniplex of America, Inc. has announced that The Garden of Sinners films are available for rent on the PlayStation Network's video-on-demand service via the PlayStation Store for download onto PlayStation 3 and PSP systems in the United States and Canada. The films are presented in their original 16:9 widescreen format in Japanese language with English subtitles; the rental cost is $2.99 per film.
- Netflix has added the Ga-Rei Zero anime series to its instant streaming catalog. This 12 episode anime series is about a girl named Kagura Tsuchimiya who works for the Japanese government's anti-supernatural forces group (the Paranormal Disaster Countermeasure Headquarters).
- Anime News Network is reporting that 4Kids Entertainment is planning to promote the newest Yu-Gi-Oh! anime series, Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal at the Licensing International Expo event in Las Vegas to attract potential merchanise producers. ANN is also reporting that 4Kids plans to release Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal this fall along with a 500th-episode special event on Toonzai.
- Anime Midwest has announced that voice actor Micah Solusod will be a guest at their upcoming convention. Solusod's credits include Soul Eater in Soul Eater, Malek Yildrim Werner in Blassreiter, Tsutomu in Birdy the Mighty: Decode, Haruki Hishida in Rideback, and Hiroshige Ushijima in Corpse Princess. Anime Midwest is taking place July 15-17, 2011 at the Pheasant Run Resort in St. Charles, Illinois.
- Viz Media announced the properties that the company is highlighting at the 2011 Licensing International Expo, which is taking place June 14-16 in Las Vegas. This year, Viz Media is highlighting Bleach, Hatsune Miku, Kekkaishi, Naruto Shippuden, Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan, Tiger & Bunny, and Vampire Knight.
- Cartoon Network in the United States is airing a Pokemon: Black & White marathon on Saturday, June 18, 2011 at 10:30 a.m. ET & PT/9:30 a.m. CT.
- Media Blasters has announced that the company has acquired the license for the Squid Girl television anime series. The company will release the first six episodes of the series on DVD on September 27, and will include English-dubbed and subtitled tracks. The set has a suggested retail price of US$24.99.
- AM2 has announced that MADHOUSE anime studio founder Masao Maruyama and director Sunao Katabuchi will be attending their convention. Maruyama has produced such anime as Ninja Scroll, Card Captor Sakura, Monster, and Death Note; he also helped nuture such talents as Tetsuro Araki, Atsuko Ishizuka, and the late Satoshi Kon. Katabuchi's credits include Sherlock Hound, Black Lagoon, and Mai Mai Miracle. AM2 is taking place July 1-3, 2011 at the Anaheim Convention Center in California.
- FUNimation has announced some of theaters that will be showing the Trigun: Badlands Rumble film. The list can be found in the anime forum.
There are topics in the anime forum for these news stories. If you'd like to join in on the discussion, there's a link to the forum later in the newsletter. You need to have a BellaOnline forum account in order to post, but signing up for a forum account is free.
|Dance in the Vampire Bund Complete Series||DVD/Blu-ray Combo|
|Demon King Daimao Complete Collection||DVD|
|Demon King Daimao Complete Collection||Blu-ray|
|Fruits Basket Collector's Edition||DVD|
|Last Exile: Complete Series||Blu-ray|
This week, I posted three new articles to the Anime site. The first is a biography of Tomoko Kawakami. The second is a review of the Inuyasha Complete Deluxe Movie Box Set. The third is an overreview article for Xenosaga: The Animation. I have added the Inuyasha Complete Deluxe Movie Box Set to the Rumiko Takahashi section of the Anime Shop. I am also featuring the Inuyasha Deluxe Movie Box Set as an "Editor's Recommendation" on the main page of the Anime site, and I have also added words from Xenosaga: The Animation to the list for the word games at the Anime site.
Here's the latest articles from the Anime site at BellaOnline.com.
Biography of Tomoko Kawakami
This is a biography for anime voice actress Tomoko Kawakami.
Inuyasha Complete Deluxe Movie Box Set
The Inuyasha Complete Deluxe Movie Box Set includes all four of the Inuyasha movies and CD soundtracks.
Xenosaga: The Animation
Xenosaga: The Animation is an anime series based on the PlayStation 2 game, Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht.
Please visit Anime.bellaonline.com for even more great content about Anime.
To participate in free, fun online discussions, this site has a community forum all about Anime located here -
You can follow the official Twitter feed for BellaOnline's Anime section.
Become a fan of the Anime at BellaOnline Fan Page at Facebook.
I hope to hear from you sometime soon, either in the forum or in response to this email message. I thrive on your feedback!
Thank you for your support of the BellaOnline Anime site, newsletter, and forum. Be sure to watch your inbox next Wednesday for the June 22nd edition of the BellaOnline Anime newsletter.
Have fun passing this message along to family and friends, because we all love free knowledge!
Lesley Aeschliman, Anime Editor
One of hundreds of sites at BellaOnline.com