Here are the headlines to come out of the anime industry since the last newsletter:
- Toyoo Ashida, an anime producer, director, animator, and designer, passed away on July 23, 2011 at the age of 67. Ashida worked on such properties as Fist of the North Star, Vampire Hunter D, Fairy Princess Minky Momo, and Cyborg 009.
- Crunchyroll has announced that it is streaming the Morita-san wa Mukuchi anime series on the same day at 1:00 p.m. EDT worldwide, except in Japan. The first three episodes are now available for all-access members, with the first two episodes available for free members.
- Crunchyroll has announced that the site will begin streaming the The IDOLM@STER anime series in North and South America starting on Saturday, July 30 at 12:30 p.m. EDT to both premium and free users.
- Section23 Films has announced the company's October 2011 releases. Glass Maiden Complete Collection and La Cordo D'oro ~ Primo Passo Complete Collection are being released on DVD on October 4 in Japanese with English subtitles, Kobato Collection 2 and Princess Tutu Complete Collection are being released on DVD on October 11 (Kobato is being released in Japanese with English subtitles while Princess Tutu is being released in English and in Japanese with English subtitles), Hell Girl: Two Mirrors Complete Collection and Ray Complete Collection are being released on DVD on October 18 in Japanese with English subtitles, and Himawari! Season 1 Collection is being released on DVD on October 25 in Japanese with English subtitles.
- Anime-ZAP! has announced that their next convention will be taking place January 14-15, 2012 at the Peoria Civic Center in downtown Peoria, Illinois. Anime-ZAP! 2012 will include anime screenings, video game tournaments, collectible card games, a manga library with over 1,000 manga, fan panels, and more. There will also be a hallway cosplay contest, masquerade, dealers and artists, a formal ball, and a rave dance. Admission for the convention costs $15 through October 10, 2011. Registration increases to $20 through December 31, 2011, and will be $25 at the door.
- Otakon has announced that their screening of Makoto Shinkai's Children who Chase Lost Voices from Deep Below will now be featuring a subtitled version of the film. Otakon is taking place July 29-31 at the Baltimore Convention Center in Baltimore, Maryland.
- The American/Dominican Republic production company Indomina has announced that the company will be producing a live-action film adaptation of Afro Samurai. The producers of the film are Indomina Chairman and CEO Jasbinder Singh Mann, actor Samuel L. Jackson, and Gonzo Studios' Shin Ishikawa. Eli Selden of Anonymous Content is executive producing. The film will be shot next year in the Dominican Republic at Pinewood Indomina Studios.
- FUNimation announced at the company's Comic-Con International panel that it will be releasing the Dragon Ball Z anime series for the first time on Blu-ray starting in November 2011. The first set, Dragon Ball Z Level 1.1, will have 17 episodes and will ship on November 8. The footage for the Blu-ray releases will be remastered from the original Japanese 16mm film reels at 1080p. These releases will have both the Japanese and English soundtracks.
- Sentai Filmworks has announced that the company has licensed the television anime adaptation of Hinata Takeda's Ikoku Meiro no Croisee manga; however, the company will be releasing it under the title, Croisee in a Foreign Labyrinth ~ The Animation. Sentai Filmworks plans to release the series on home video in 2012. The Anime Network also began streaming this 12-episode series on July 26.
- GONG, a New Media television service for anime in Europe and North America, has announced a partnership to bring content to blinkbox, the UK's leading online movie service. GONG will be offering some of its premium anime including original Japanese subtitled in ENglish. Some of the titles that will be available include Queen's Blade, Babel II, Demon Lord Dante, and Izumo.
- World Events announced at Comic-Con that Relativity Media has optioned the rights to make a live-action film adaptation of Voltron. Atlus Productions is also involved.
- It was announced at the Robotech panel at Comic-Con International that A&E Networks Home Entertainment will be releasing Robotech: The Complete Original Series. This 17 disc collector's set includes all 85 episodes in their entirety, and they have been remastered from their original elements for this release. The set includes four exclusive bonus discs with more than 10 hours of bonus content, much of which is new to DVD. This set will be released in October 2011, and has an MSRP of $99.95.
- Sentai Filmworks has announced that the company will be releasing the Ro-Kyu-Bu! anime series. Digital distribution of Ro-Kyu-Bu! Fast Break! will begin through The Anime Network on July 27. Sentai plans to release the 12-episode series on English-subtitled DVD in 2012.
- Sentai Filmworks has announced that the company will be releasing the Heaven's Memo Pad anime series. Digital distribution of the series begins through The Anime Network on July 31, 2011. Sentai plans to release this 12-episode series on English-subtitled DVD in 2012.
- The Anime Network has announced that it will be simulcasting three series on their Online Streaming Service at the end of July. Croisee in a Foreign Labyrinth ~ The Animation~ begins its simulcast on July 26, 2011 at 11 a.m. CDT, Ryo-Kyu-Bu! Fast Break begins simulcasting on July 27, 2011 at 10:30 a.m. CDT., and Heaven's Memo Pad begins simulcasting on July 31, 2011 at noon CDT.
- Viz Media announced at the company's Comic-Con International panel that Junko Takeuchi, the Japanese voice actress for Naruto Uzumaki, will be a guest at this year's New York Comic Con. She will present the American premiere of Naruto Shippuden the Movie: Bonds, and she will speak at a Q&A panel and sign autographs. Holders of the convention's Anime Access VIP tickets will have a reserved signing with Takeuchi. New York Comic Con is taking place October 13-16, 2011.
- Bandai announced three upcoming releases during their Comic Con International panel. The fourth episode of Gundam Unicorn will be released on Blu-ray internationally on December 2, 2011. The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya will be released on both DVD and Blu-ray on September 30, 2011. It was also announced that Akira will be re-released on DVD; however, there was no mention of whether or not anything will be updated for this release.
- FUNimation has announced that additional screenings have been added for the Trigun: Badlands Rumble anime film. For a list of these additional screenings, visit the thread in the Anime forum about the film.
There are topics in the anime forum for these news stories. If you'd like to join in on the discussion, there's a link to the forum later in the newsletter. You need to have a BellaOnline forum account in order to post, but signing up for a forum account is free.
|Angel Beats! Complete Collection||DVD|
|Angel Beats! Complete Collection||Blu-ray|
|Sgt. Frog Season 3 Part 1||DVD|
|Supernatural: The Anime Series||DVD|
|Supernatural: The Anime Series||Blu-ray|
This week, I posted four new articles to the Anime site. The first is a biography of Toyoo Ashida. The second is a review of the Bleach Season Four Part One DVD box set. The third is an overview article for the Johto era of Pokemon. The fourth is an episode listing for Maison Ikkoku. I am featuring the Bleach Season Four Part One DVD box set as an "Editor's Recommendation" on the main page of the Anime site, and it has also been added to the the a newly created Bleach shop in the Anime Shop.
Here's the latest articles from the Anime site at BellaOnline.com.
Biography of Toyoo Ashida
This is a biography for anime director, producer, animator, and designer Toyoo Ashida.
Bleach Season Four Part One
Bleach: The Bount Season Four Part One box set is a four disc set that contains sixteen episodes.
Pokemon Johto Journeys
This article takes a look at the seasons in the Pokemon anime series that take place in the Johto region.
Maison Ikkoku Episode Listing
This an episode listing for the anime series, Maison Ikkoku. It also includes the OVAs and the movie.
Please visit Anime.bellaonline.com for even more great content about Anime.
To participate in free, fun online discussions, this site has a community forum all about Anime located here -
You can follow the official Twitter feed for BellaOnline's Anime section.
Become a fan of the Anime at BellaOnline Fan Page at Facebook.
I hope to hear from you sometime soon, either in the forum or in response to this email message. I thrive on your feedback!
Thank you for your support of the BellaOnline Anime site, newsletter, and forum. Be sure to watch your inbox next Wednesday for the August 3rd edition of the BellaOnline Anime newsletter.
Have fun passing this message along to family and friends, because we all love free knowledge!
Lesley Aeschliman, Anime Editor
One of hundreds of sites at BellaOnline.com