Here are the headlines to come out of the anime industry since the last newsletter:
- Voice actor Christopher Ayres posted on his Facebook account that fellow voice actor Cassandra Hodges passed away on June 30, 2011. She was 28 years old at the time of her passing, and the cause of death has not been made public. Cassandra Hodges' voice could be heard in such anime series as Hell Girl, Glass Fleet, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Hetalia - Axis Powers, and Mushishi.
- Media Blasters has clarified that their license for the Bakuman. anime series includes both the first and second seasons of the series.
- Hulu began airing a simulcast of the second season of Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan on July 3, 2011, and the episode was available two hours after the Japanese broadcast.
- The online video service NicoNico will begin streaming the anime series Blood-C and Uta no Prince Sama overseas, right after the first broadcast of each episode in Japan. These streams will begin in July 2011, and will be available exclusively for one week in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa. The streams for these series will be English-subtitled. Each episode will be free for one week; after that, there is a one-time subscription fee of US$0.25 for all episodes during the ongoing beta period.
- Anime NebrasKon has announced two guests for their 2011 convention: voice actors Keith Silverstein and Chris Sabat. Silverstein's credits include Kimimaro in Naruto, Mabashi in Bleach, Johann Liebert in Monster, and Kaguro in Kekkaishi. Sabat's credits include Vegeta, Piccoolo, and Yamcha from the Dragon Ball franchise, Ayame Sohma in Fruits Basket, Alex Louis Armstrong in Fullmetal Alchemist, and Kuwabara in Yu Yu Hakusho. Anime NebrasKon is taking place November 4th-6th at the CoCo Key Water Resort in Omaha, Nebraska.
- NIS America announced at their Anime Expo panel that the company has acquired the rights to the first Kimi no Todoke anime series and this year's Dororon Enma-kun Meeramera television anime series. Kimi no Todoke will be released in two 13-episode parts; the first part will ship in October 2011, and the second part will ship "later." There are currently no release details for Dororon Enma-kun Meeramera.
- Right Stuf Inc. & Nozomi Entertainment made several announcements at their Anime Expo panel. Firstly, it was announced that the second remastered Revolutionary Girl Utena box set will be released in August 2011, and that the release date of the third box set will be announced "soon." In addition, the company announced that fans who purchase all three box sets through Right Stuf's website will receive a special gift (a replica of the rose seal ring that Utena wears throughout the series) while supplies last. The company also announced that it has acquired more titles for Dirty Pair: the Dirty Pair: Affair on Nolandia film, the Project Eden movie, the ten-episode OAV series, the Flight 005 Conspiracy OAV, and the 1994 remastered Dirty Pair Flash series. All of these titles are slated to be released in 2012, and will include the original dubs as well as ADV's later dubs. The company has also acquired the rights to Gasaraki, which is slated to be released in a complete collection in 2012. The company has also acquired Martian Successor Nadeisco, which will be remastered and include the Gekiganger III show-within-a-show OAV.
- Aniplex of America announced at its Anime Expo panel that the company will be releasing the Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Blue Exorcist anime series on home video. The first of four DVD volumes of Blue Exorcist will ship in October 2011, while the remaining volumes are tentatively scheduled to ship in January 2012, April 2012, and July 2012. The details for the release of Puella Magi Madoka Magica will be announced at a later date.
- NicoNico's website lists four more anime series that the site will be simulcasting: Twin Angel: Twinkle Paradise, A Dark Rabbit has Seven Lives, R-15, and The Mystic Archives of Dantalian. All of these series have a streaming date that is within one day of its Japanese broadcast premiere.
- Viz Media announced at their Anime Expo panel that the company will be releasing the Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva anime film and the Bleach: Fade to Black anime film. Bleach: Fade to Black will ship on DVD and Blu-ray Disc on November 15, 2011. The release details for the Professor Layton film will be announced later. It was also announced that Pokemon: Zoroark Master of Illusions will be released on September 20, 2011, and that Naruto Shippuden the Movie: Bonds will be released on DVD, Blu-ray, and download-to-own on October 25, 2011. Viz will also begin streaming an uncut version of the Blue Dragon anime series starting on July 22, 2011.
- FUNimation announced at their Anime Expo panel that it has acquired the rights to the following anime titles: Deadman Wonderland, Steins;Gate, Baka to Test to Shokanju Ni!, B Gata H Kei (Yamada's First Time), and Asobi ni Iku yo! (Cat Planet Cuties). The company has also acquired additional rights for C, which include DVD, Blu-ray Disc, digital, and broadcast.
- Crunchyroll announced at their Anime Expo panel that the company will be streaming Natsume's Book of Friends 3, Yuruyuri, and Kamisama Dolls. The stream for Natsume's Book of Friends 3 started on Monday, July 4, 2011, the stream for Yuruyuri started on Tuesday, July 5, 2011, and the stream for Kamisama Dolls will be starting on Sunday, July 10, 2011. The company also says it will be announcing nine more titles in the near future.
- Bandai Entertainment announced at their Anime Expo panel that the company will be streaming the Sacred Seven television series on the Hulu and Crunchyroll websites starting on July 8, 2011. It was also announced that the first volume of Tales of the Abyss will be released either in September or October 2011, the first half of the original Mobile Suit Gundam series is set for release on September 13, 2011, Turn A Gundam is expected to be released this fall, and The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzuimiya will be released on DVD and Blu-ray on September 20, 2011. Sentai Filmworks announced at their Anime Expo panel that the company has acquired the licenses for Ro-Kyu-Bu!, Loups-Garous, ef: a tale of memories (ef-memo), ef: a tale of melodies (ef-melo), and what representative David Williams described as three new Saiyuki: Requiem OVAs. However, it should be noted that while there is not a new Saiyuki Requiem anime project, there is a new three-volume Saiyuki Gaiden OVA series. It was also announced that Clannad will be released on Blu-ray in November 2011, and that the company will be releasing more of the Golgo 13 anime.
There are topics in the anime forum for these news stories. If you'd like to join in on the discussion, there's a link to the forum later in the newsletter. You need to have a BellaOnline forum account in order to post, but signing up for a forum account is free.
|Dragon Ball Dragon Box 6||DVD|
|Mobile Suit Gundam 00 the Movie: A Wakening of the Trailblazer||DVD|
|Mobile Suit Gundam 00 the Movie: A Wakening of the Trailblazer||Blu-ray|
|Orphen Complete Collection||DVD|
|Sound of the Sky||DVD|
This week, I posted three new articles to the Anime site. The first is a review of the book Starting Point 1979-1996. The second is an overview article for the Tekkaman Blade anime series. The third is an overview article for the Elemental Gelade anime series. I have added words from Tekkaman Blade and Elemental Gelade to the list for the word games at the Anime Site. I have added Starting Point 1979-1996 to the Studio Ghibli section of the Anime Shop, I am also featuring Starting Point 1979-1996 as an "Editor's Recommendation" on the main page of the Anime site.
Here's the latest articles from the Anime site at BellaOnline.com.
Starting Point 1979-1996
Starting Point 1979-1996 is a book by Hayao Miyazaki that was translated by Beth Cary and Frederik L. Schodt.
Tekkaman Blade is an anime series produced by Tatsunoko Production and Sotsu Agency, and was directed by Hiroshi Negishi.
Elemental Gelade is based on a manga series written and illustrated by Mayumi Azuma.
Please visit Anime.bellaonline.com for even more great content about Anime.
To participate in free, fun online discussions, this site has a community forum all about Anime located here -
You can follow the official Twitter feed for BellaOnline's Anime section.
Become a fan of the Anime at BellaOnline Fan Page at Facebook.
I hope to hear from you sometime soon, either in the forum or in response to this email message. I thrive on your feedback!
Thank you for your support of the BellaOnline Anime site, newsletter, and forum. Be sure to watch your inbox next Wednesday for the July 13th edition of the BellaOnline Anime newsletter.
Have fun passing this message along to family and friends, because we all love free knowledge!
Lesley Aeschliman, Anime Editor
One of hundreds of sites at BellaOnline.com