Here are the headlines to come out of the anime industry since the last newsletter:
- Matsuricon has announced that previously announced guests Brittney Karbowski and Chris Cason had to pull out of their appearances due to personal reasons. In their place, Matsuricon is presenting Alexis Tipton and Taliesin Jaffe. Tipton has been a voice actor for FUNimation Entertainment for three years, and her roles have included Yuki Saegusa in Dance in the Vampire Bund, Mizuki Himeji in Baka and Test - Summon the Beasts, and Laila Seiren in Hero Tales. Jaffe is an ADR director and script adaptor, and he has been involved with such anime as BECK, Hell Girl, Romeo x Juliet, The End of Evangelion, and Monster. Matsuricon is taking place August 19-21, 2011 at the Hyatt Regency in Downtown Columbus, Ohio.
- Nico Nico Live on Nico Nico Douga has announced a free live streaming of Rurouni Kenshin OVA: Trust and Betrayal simultaneously in the Japan, the United States, and Canada on Saturday, August 20, 2011 at 14:00 in Japan/10:00 p.m. on August 19, 2011 US Pacific Standard Time. The stream features Japanese audio with English subtitles. Another live Rurouni Kenshin streaming event is being planned for September 2011.
- Sentai Filmworks has announced that the company has acquired the sci-fi anime mini features Coicent and Five Numbers. The two titles will be available separately via digital distribution, but they will be released together on DVD and Blu-ray. Both of the titles will be available in English subtitled and English dubbed versions.
- FUNimation has announced that the company will be discontinuing its download-to-own services on August 20, 2011. Users must redeem previous download purchases by that date. Previously downloaded episodes will continue to play, but if users transfer or remove video files, they may stop playing; the user will not receive a new license to download them again.
- Redline won the Audience Award for Best Animated Film at the Fantasia Festival that took place in Montreal from July 14 through August 7, 2011.
- Sentai Filmworks has announced that the company has licensed the ICE OVA. The OVA will be streamed "through many digital distributors" in November 2011, and the DVD will also be released in November. The DVD will include both Japanese and English-language tracks.
- Anime News Network is reporting that A.D. Vision (ADV) has filed a lawsuit against Gainax over the live-action option to the Neon Genesis Evangelion franchise. ADV is asking the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas, Houston Division, to "clarify certain rights and obligations" under the option and related copyrights. ADV is claiming that "Gainax refuses to confirm ADV's acquisition of copyrights and other rights in Evangelion, disputes the same, and has otherwise refused to perform its obligation under their agreement." ADV and Gainax signed a memorandum for the option to "at least three (3) live-action theatrical motion pictures, five (5) television programs and three (3) direct-to-video products (each, a "Project")" on March 1, 2003. ADV asserts that Gainax proposed to change the agreement on July 15, 2010, but ADV rejected the proposal. ADV is asking the court to declare ADV's ownership in motion picture rights due to a US$100,000 payment on February 17, 2010. In addition, ADV is also asking the court to declare "that ADV is the sole owner of the Motion Picture Rights without further payment obligations to Gainax save for certain contingent payment obligations" as outlined in the original agreement. ADV is also asking the court to declare that "ADV's ownership of copyrights in relation to Evangelion (e.g. the Motion Picture Rights)" and that the company has these rights "throughout the universe in perpetuity."
- Section 23 has announced its November 2011 releases. Amagami SS Collection 2 is being released on November 1 on DVD, and it will have Japanese audio with English subtitles. Clannad Complete Collection is being released on Blu-ray on November 8, and it will have English audio and Japanese audio with English subtitles. ICE Complete Collection is being released on DVD on November 15, and it will have English audio and Japanese audio with English subtitles. Coicent / Five Numbers is being released on DVD and Blu-ray on November 22, and it will have English audio and Japanese audio with English subtitles. LOUPS=GAROUS is being released on DVD and Blu-ray on November 29, and it will have English audio and Japanese audio with English subtitles.
There are topics in the anime forum for these news stories. If you'd like to join in on the discussion, there's a link to the forum later in the newsletter. You need to have a BellaOnline forum account in order to post, but signing up for a forum account is free.
|Night Raid 1931 Complete Collection||DVD|
|Night Raid 1931 Complete Collection||Blu-ray|
|Voltron - The Legend Begins||DVD|
This week, I posted two new articles to the Anime site. The first is a review of Naruto Shippuden Box Set 2. The second is a review of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Part 3. I am also featuring the Dragon Ball Season Four DVD box set as an "Editor's Recommendation" on the main page of the Anime site.
Here's the latest articles from the Anime site at BellaOnline.com.
Naruto Shippuden Box Set 2
Naruto Shippuden Box Set 2 Season One: Original & Uncut is a three DVD set that contains episodes fourteen through twenty-six of Naruto Shippuden.
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Part Three
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Part Three is a two-disc set that contains episodes twenty-seven through thirty-nine of the series.
Please visit Anime.bellaonline.com for even more great content about Anime.
To participate in free, fun online discussions, this site has a community forum all about Anime located here -
You can follow the official Twitter feed for BellaOnline's Anime section.
Become a fan of the Anime at BellaOnline Fan Page at Facebook.
I hope to hear from you sometime soon, either in the forum or in response to this email message. I thrive on your feedback!
Thank you for your support of the BellaOnline Anime site, newsletter, and forum. Be sure to watch your inbox next Wednesday for the August 24th edition of the BellaOnline Anime newsletter.
Have fun passing this message along to family and friends, because we all love free knowledge!
Lesley Aeschliman, Anime Editor
One of hundreds of sites at BellaOnline.com