Here are the headlines to come out of the anime industry since the last newsletter:
- Anime News Network is reporting that Hayao Miyazaki's film, Princess Mononoke is no longer being distributed by Disney's Buena Vista Home Entertainment label, and that Lionsgate Films now holds the rights to the film. However, the report quotes Lionsgate as say that there is "no current information on the release of this title." It was Disney's former subsidiary, Miramax, that released Princess Mononoke theatrically and on DVD in the United States. After Miramax founders Bob and Harvey Weinstein left the company in 2005, Disney sold Miramax to Filmyard Holdings in 2010. In February 2011, Miramax licensed the home video release of 550 titles in its catalog to Lionsgate and StudioCanal. An additional 251 titles were licensed to Echo Bridge Entertainment.
- Right Stuf, Inc. and Nozomi Entertainment have announced that they are releasing the Gakuen Alice DVD Set (Litebox) on November 1, 2011. The 26 episodes of the series will be released in a single, litebox-style keepcase and feature Japanese audio, English-language subtitles and English on-screen translations. On-disc extras include liner notes, character bios, the textless opening, the textless closing and Nozomi Entertainment trailers. The set has five discs, and has an SRP of $39.99.
- Anime Festival Orlando 12 has announced a couple of guest changes. Voice actress Cristina Vee, who is best known for her work as Mio Akiyama in K-ON!, has been added to the guest list. Unfortunately, Christopher Patten will not be appearing this year after all due to scheduling conflicts. In addition, Jason David Frank will only be available on Saturday, and Wendee Lee will appear late on Friday to introduce the Cowboy Bebop movie and leave early on Sunday after an autograph signing session. Anime Festival Orlando is taking place August 5-7, 2011 at the Wyndham Orlando Resort.
- Aniplex of America announced at the company's Otakon panel that it will be releasing Oreimo in a DVD box set in October 2011. The box will include as 12 episodes of the series, as well as the four video episodes with English subtitles only. The box will also include a 16-postcard set and a 24-page booklet.
- Aniplex of America announced at the company's Otakon panel that Hulu, Crunchyroll, and Crackle will begin streaming the Star Driver Kagayaki no Takuto anime with English subtitles on August 17, 2011. The first two episodes will stream that day, and a new episode will follow every Wednesday after that.
- Aniplex of America announced at the company's Otakon panel that the company will be dubbing the Puella Magi Madoka Magica anime series into English.
- FUNimation announced at the company's Otakon panel that they have licensed the Heaven's Lost Property anime film, and the company plans to release it in 2012. The company also says it hopes to release a funimation.com video app by the end of the year.
- Some announcements were made at the Hetalia panel at Otakon. The Hetalia - Axis Powers Paint it, White [Shiroku Nure!] anime film is being released on DVD on November 22, 2011; the release will include a green bandana extra. The third season of Hetalia, which is titled Hetalia: World Series, will be released on DVD this winter and will include a purple bandana. Two new dub cast members were also announced: Jason Liebrecht as Iceland and Michael Sinterniklaas as the Netherlands.
- Bandai Entertainment announced at the company's Otakon panel that is has licensed the Nichijou (My Ordinary Life) and the Gosick anime.
- Viz Media announced at the company's Otakon panel that a box set for Guilty is supposed to be released in December 2011, but that it won't include some of the bonus items included on the individual releases, and that the second set of Kekkaishi is scheduled for September 13, 2011.
- Anime Blast Chattanooga has announced that voice actress Colleen Clinkenbeard will be a guest at their upcoming convention. Clinkenbeard's credits include Gohan in Dragon Ball Z Kai, Rose Thomas and Riza Hawkeye in Fullmetal Alchemist, Luffy in the new FUNimation dub of One Piece, Marie in Soul Eater, and Eclair in Ouran High School Host Club. Anime Blast Chattanooga is taking place November 4-6, 2011 at the Chattanooga Convention Center in Chattanooga, Tennessee.
- Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood will begin airing on Canada's Super Channel 2 on August 15, 2011 at 10:00 p.m. EST/PST. The show is also scheduled to air on Super Channel HD2.
There are topics in the anime forum for these news stories. If you'd like to join in on the discussion, there's a link to the forum later in the newsletter. You need to have a BellaOnline forum account in order to post, but signing up for a forum account is free.
|Baka and Test - Summon the Beasts||DVD/Blu-ray Combo|
|Casshern Sins||DVD/Blu-ray Combo|
|Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Part 5||DVD|
|Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Part 5||Blu-ray|
|Maid-Sama DVD Collection 2||DVD|
|Tsubasa Season 2 S.A.V.E.||DVD|
|Tsubasa Season 2 S.A.V.E.||Blu-ray|
This week, I posted two new articles to the Anime site. The first is a review of The Galaxy Railways The Complete Collection DVD box set. The second is an overview article for the Paranoia Agent anime series. I have added words from Paranoia Agent to the list of words for the word games at the Anime site. In addition, I am featuring the The Galaxy Railways The Complete Collection DVD box set as an "Editor's Recommendation" on the main page of the Anime site, and it has also been added to the Anime Shop. I have also added the Dragon Ball Season Four and Dragon Ball Season Five DVD box sets to the Dragon Ball section of the Anime shop.
Here's the latest articles from the Anime site at BellaOnline.com.
The Galaxy Railways The Complete Collection
The Galaxy Railways: The Complete Collection is a six disc set that is part of FUNimation Entertainment’s S.A.V.E. line of DVD releases.
Paranoia Agent is an anime series created by Satoshi Kon and produced by Madhouse.
Please visit Anime.bellaonline.com for even more great content about Anime.
To participate in free, fun online discussions, this site has a community forum all about Anime located here -
You can follow the official Twitter feed for BellaOnline's Anime section.
Become a fan of the Anime at BellaOnline Fan Page at Facebook.
I hope to hear from you sometime soon, either in the forum or in response to this email message. I thrive on your feedback!
Thank you for your support of the BellaOnline Anime site, newsletter, and forum. Be sure to watch your inbox next Wednesday for the August 10th edition of the BellaOnline Anime newsletter.
Have fun passing this message along to family and friends, because we all love free knowledge!
Lesley Aeschliman, Anime Editor
One of hundreds of sites at BellaOnline.com