December 11 2009 Christian Literature Newsletter
Christmas is just 15 days away! Each year, I find myself more nostalgic for the "good old days" when the holidays brought good cheer, communities gathered and Jesus was still a part of the celebration.
Some say the giving of gifts has existed since the time of Christ and was representative of the gifts the Magi brought. Others say that it is a custom that started in later centuries with Nicholas, the priest who was later cannonized by the Catholic church, in the area of Turkey/Greece. Regardless of how it started, the meaning of Christmas was never about being able to give gifts, shop or have parties. Christmas is a time to reflect on the birth of the Christ child; to thank God that he sent Jesus to die for our sins so that by believing on Him we can have eternal life.
With more people feeling the "money crunch" this year, consider giving homemade or baked gifts! You can even make and give coupons for babysitting, dog walking, house cleaning, etcetera instead of purchasing a present.
Here's a recipe for peanut butter cookies. I always thought that my mother made the best peanut butter cookies and could never find a recipe like hers.....until I looked at a Jif Jar! Bake a batch, give some as gifts and enjoy others as you read the story of Jesus' birth to your family.
• 3/4 cup Jif Creamy Peanut Butter
• 1/2 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
• 1 1/4 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
• 3 Tablespoons milk
1 Tablespoon vanilla
• 1 egg
• 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
• 3/4 teaspoon salt
• 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
• Preheat oven to 375ºF.
• Place sheets of foil on countertop for cooling cookies.
• Combine Jif peanut butter, Crisco® Shortening, light brown sugar, milk and vanilla in large bowl.
• Beat at medium speed of electric mixer until well blended.
• Add egg. Beat just until blended.
• Combine flour, salt and baking soda.
• Add to creamed mixture at low speed. Mix just until blended.
• Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheet.
• Flatten slightly in crisscross pattern with tines of fork.
• Bake at 375ºF for 7 to 8 minutes or until set and just beginning to brown.
• Makes 3 dozen cookies
Drop by the forum and share your memories of Christmas or any unique family traditions.
This week's review.....
Do you know someone who is confused when it comes to financial matters and budgets? For a basic book of straightforward simple advice with a biblical basis, Financial Purity is the place to start. Written in simple language, it will help anyone who is just starting to learn about handling money.
Please visit christianliterature.bellaonline.com for even more great content about Christian Literature.
Lyn Sedmina, Christian Literature Editor
One of hundreds of sites at BellaOnline.com
Unsubscribe from the Christian Literature Newsletter
Online Newsletter Archive for Christian Literature Site
Master List of BellaOnline Newsletters