Lentils with Italian Sausage Recipe
A traditional New Year's Day dish in some regions of Italy.
Lentils with sausage will appear as a New Year's Day dish. It symbolized money, and in some areas today it is believed that eating them will guarantee a year of prosperity and good luck.
- 2 cups lentils, rinsed
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups dry white wine (or chicken stock)
- 4 Tbs olive oil
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 2 slices of pancetta (or bacon), diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 12 peppercorns
- 3 bay leaves
- salt to taste
- 4 pounds of Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- Combine lentils, water, wine, oil, tomatoes, bacon, garlic, half the peppercorns, 2 bay leaves, and salt in a pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer covered about 1 hour, or until lentils are soft.
- Put the sausage, onion, carrot, celery, and remaining peppercorns and bay leaves into a large pot. Add enough water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer covered 30 minutes. Remove the sausage from the liquid. Remove the casings, and cut into slices.
- Serve the sausage slices with lentils.
Italian Food Host
Bella Italian Food Recommends
Calphalon Commercial Hard-Anodized 3-Quart All-Around Pan
The 3-quart Braiser is deep enough to hold sizable roasts and cuts of meat and poultry for browning. Lid seals in juices as you continue to slow-cook or simmer, while dome shape adds a little extra room for food and for heat to circulate. Pan has two securely riveted Cool-V handles. Busy cooks will appreciate the way it evenly heats and effortlessly cleans once food is done.Backed by a lifetime warranty, Calphalon's Commercial Hard-Anodized Cookware is made to professional standards, offering the home chef unsurpassed cooking performance and lasting durability. Each piece in the Commercial Hard-Anodized line is made of a heavy-gauge aluminum to distribute heat evenly and eliminate hot spots as you cook. And because it's made entirely of metal, each pan can be used in the oven and under the broiler. Hard-anodizing seals the cooking surface, making it stick-resistant and non-reactive to food. Handles are designed to stay cool on the stove top and are balanced with such precision that even full pans are easy to manage and carry.
You Should Also Read:
Italian Stuffing or Dressing Recipe
Polpette alla Casalinga - Italian Meatballs Recipe
Rigatoni With Sausage and Tomato Cream Sauce Recipe
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2021 by Paula Laurita. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Paula Laurita. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Cinzia Aversa for details.