Orange & Lemon Marmalade
8 c Sugar; (3 1/2 lb)
1 1/2 fl Pectin, liquid
1. Peel off orange and lemon skins in quarters close to pulp and set aside. Break up pulps and remove seeds; add 1 cup water and simmer in covered saucepan 45 minutes.
2. Boil orange and lemon rinds with 8 cups water in covered saucepan 20 minutes. Drain off and discard water.
3. With a sharp-edged spoon scrape out and discard all white part of orange and lemon skins right down to yellow rind.
4. With a very sharp knife shred yellow rinds just as thin as possible in shreds
about 1 inch long.
5. Simmer shredded rinds again with 5 cups water in covered pan 15 minutes. Drain off and discard water. Mix cooked pulp with rinds.
6. Measure 4 level cups of this mixture into large saucepan, adding, if necessary, enough water to the fourth cup to make it level full. Add sugar and mix well.
7. Stir mixture hard and constantly and bring to a vigorous boil over the hottest fire. Boil hard 3 minutes with continual stirring. Remove from fire and add pectin, stirring it in well.
8. Let stand 5 minutes.
9. pour quickly into a container.
Makes about 8 1/2 pint jars
Hint: A special treat on toasted English muffins, hot buttered biscuits, toast and scones.
Vanette (Vannie) Ryanes is CEO of Spices Plus E-Zine for Women and Independent Watkins Associate
"Who says you can't have it all?"