To watch a video on how to velvet chicken using the frying method click here.
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (1.5 lbs)
1 bag frozen stir fry vegetables
2 tbsp peanut oil
3 tsp jarred chopped garlic
¼ tsp salt
1 tbsp sherry
1 egg white
1 tbsp cornstarch
½ tbsp peanut oil
1 ½ tsp ground ginger
½ cup chicken broth
5 tbsp oyster sauce
- Remove all the fat from the chicken and cut it into thin strips approximately 1 ½ inches long and ½ inch wide. Then place the stips in a container with a tight fitting lid to be marinated.
- Apply the velveting marinade in the following steps. First sprinkle in the salt while stirring the meat and then stir in the sherry.
- With your hand, add the egg white and gently mix to coat each piece of chicken making sure not to froth the egg. Then sprinkle in the cornstarch coating each piece.
- Finally, add the oil and stir to coat. Let the meat marinate for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- While the chicken marinates, prepare the other ingredients. Microwave the frozen vegetables for about 5 minutes or just until they are warm and set them aside. For this recipe I used Birds Eye Steam Fresh Asian Medley, but any 12 oz bag of frozen mixed vegetables may be used. Just be sure to warm them and not overcook them. Remember in stir frying we want the vegetables to retain their bright color and crisp texture.
- In a small bowl, mix together all of the ingredients for the sauce and set it aside.
- Once the chicken has marinated, cook it using the boiling method of the velveting process. Start this process by bringing a pot of water with just one tablespoon of the peanut oil to a boil.
- Once the water boils, add the chicken and let it cook for just 1 minute.
- Then remove the chicken pieces quickly with a slotted spoon and set them aside. Try not to get any of the egg that may have floated to the top in with the chicken.
- Heat a non stick pot or wok on high. Add the remaining tablespoon of peanut oil and let it get hot.
- Once the oil is hot, add the garlic and stir fry just until it is light brown, about one minute.
- Add the vegetables and velveted chicken and stir fry for just 1 more minute.
- Then add the sauce and cook for another 2 minutes, stirring until the vegetables and chicken are coated with the sauce.
- This dish is best served with white rice. It soaks up the sauce and creates an overall wonderful texture and flavor. Makes 3 servings.