Spread a bit o' Irish luck with these bookmarks! The first is a magnetic bookmark with a shamrock, and which is quite easy to make – whip up some as giveaways for a St. Patrick's Day party! The second bookmark is embellished with simple Celtic knots. This takes a bit longer to make, but is well worth the effort. Let's begin!
You will need:
* Shamrock template (available here)
* Light green card stock, 3 by 1-1/2 inches
* Gold cardstock, 1-3/8 by 1-3/8 inches
* Dark green paper, around 1-1/2 by 1-1/2 inches
* Magnetic sheet, two pieces, each measuring 1-3/8 by 1-3/8 inches
* Glue stick
* Bone folder (optional)
Mark, measure and cut the cardstock, paper and magnetic sheet to the specified sizes.
Using the template as a guide, draw a shamrock on the dark green paper and cut it out. Glue it to the gold cardstock.
Fold the light green cardstock in half to form a square. Use a bone folder to make a crisp fold if necessary.
Glue the gold cardstock to the front of the green cardstock, leaving an equal border all around.
When dry, glue the pieces of magnetic sheet on the inside of the green cardstock, with the magnetic surfaces facing each other.
Celtic knot bookmark
You will need:
* Half-knot template (available here)
* Light green cardstock, 5 by 1-5/8 inches
* Gold cardstock or paper
- two pieces, each measuring 1-3/8 by 1-3/8 inches
- two pieces, each measuring 1 by 2 inches
* Dark green cardstock or paper
- one piece measuring 1-3/8 by 1-3/8 inches
- four pieces, each measuring 1 by 2 inches
* Gold ribbon
* Scissors with a fine point
* One-hole punch
* A few drops of craft glue
* Glue stick
Mark, measure and cut the light green cardstock, dark green cardstock/paper, and gold cardstock/paper to the specified sizes.
Make a gold knot: On each of the two pieces of 1x2-inch gold cardstock/paper, draw a half-knot, using the template as a guide. Cut out the half knots; cut a slit to the center of each half knot so that it's easier to remove the center. Next, carefully weave the two half knots together, in an over-and-under fashion, making sure that the slits are hidden underneath. Secure the intersections with a bit of craft glue and let dry.
Repeat these steps with the 1x2-inch dark green cardstock/paper to make two more Celtic knots.
Now assemble the squares, adhering the gold knot to the dark green square, and adhering the dark green knots to the gold squares.
Glue the squares to the light green cardstock, with the green square between the gold squares, and leaving a border of 1/8 inch at the bottom and sides of the bookmark.
Punch a hole near the top of the bookmark and thread a piece of gold ribbon through it to finish.