This timpano di maccheroni is tasty and a dish that is classic comfort food, while impressing guests.
This dish requires your time, but is well worth it. The presentation is magnificent.
Timpano di Maccheroni
For the pastry:
- 10 1/2 oz flour
- 3 1/2 oz shortening
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 oz of Marsala
For the filling:
- 1 pound rigatoni
- 8 oz chicken breasts, cut into small cubes
- 8 oz ground veal
- 4 oz ham, cut into small cubes
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage, cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1 small can of mushrooms
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 16 oz red pasta sauce (home made or jar)
- 1 onion, diced
- 5 ounces butter
- 1/2 - 1 cup of vegetable or chicken stock
- 1/2 - 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 1/2 oz grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- fresh, ground black pepper
Prepare the pastry:
- prepare the pastry for lining your timbale 2 hours before you use it.
- Put flour in on a work surface. Make a well in the center and put egg yolks, shortening, salt and Marsala.
- Draw in flour from the edge of the well, stirring until a soft dough forms. (Add a little warm water if necessary). Knead the dough on the floured work surface for few minutes until it is smooth and elastic.
- Cover, place in the refrigerator and let rest for 2 hours.
Prepare the filling:
- Mix veal with an egg and breadcrumbs in a bowl and knead.
- Shape into 1/2" meatballs. About the size of an olive.
- Chop onion and let it cook until translucent with 5 oz extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet.
- Add ham, meatballs, mushrooms, chicken, sausage, and stock to the skillet.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the red sauce.
- Cook over a medium flame for 20 minutes.
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil and add the rigatoni. Cook to the point right before al dente.
- Drain the pasta and toss with Parmesan cheese and half the meat sauce.
Prepare the Timbale:
- Oil a timbale mold, an oven safe glass bowl will work, and sprinkle with some dry breadcrumbs.
- Take 2/3 of the pastry and roll it out on a floured work surface. Do the same thing with the remaining pastry. Line bottom and sides of the mold with the major pastry, allowing it to flow over the edges.
- Begin arranging sliced hard-boiled eggs and mozzarella cheese on the bottom followed by a deep layer of dressed macaroni. Continue layering until all the ingredients have been used up.
- Close up the timbale with the remaining pastry. Seal it at the edges and brush with the egg white after beating it lightly.
- Prick the top with a fork.
- Bake in the oven at 350°F for about 40 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, allow to rest 5 minutes, turn over the bowl. Wait for other 5 minutes, slice and serve accompanied with the remaining meat sauce.
This dish takes a lot of time, but both the pastry and sauce can be prepared ahead of time. Assemble right before cooking.
Bella Italian Food Recommends
Pyrex Mixing Bowls (Set of 3)
Essential prep ware for any kitchen, these heavy-duty Pyrex mixing bowls make a great housewarming gift. Clear, all-glass bowls feature curved lips on the rims for easy gripping and handling. Set of 3 includes a 1-qt., 1.5-qt. and 2.5-qt. bowl, which nest together for compact and organized cupboard storage. Durable and dishwasher safe. Made in the USA.