Are you not sure what to say? Try this as an exercise in worship.
Open your Bible and choose a passage. Almost any passage will do because the Bible is all about God. Read your passage more than once, even three of four times - each time picking out the attributes of God. What does each verse say about our Heavenly Father? Underline or make a list of each attribute or description you find.
When you begin your prayer time, use your list to pray His qualities. As an example, I chose Colossians 1:1-14 and found these attributes. You may find even more. I will begin my prayer with:
- (vs.2) You are holy.
You impart your holiness and faithfulness to us through Christ.
You are the giver of grace and peace.
- (vs.3) You are the Father.
- (vs.4) You enable us to love each other.
- (vs. 5) You give us the hope of eternal life with you in heaven.
- (vs. 6) You are the giver of gifts that we have not earned and cannot pay for.
- (vs. 9) You give us spiritual wisdom and understanding that gives the knowledge of your will.
- (vs. 11) You are enormous and powerful and you strengthen us with your power.
You enable us to endure every difficulty with patience and joy.
- (vs. 12) You qualify us to share in the kingdom of light.
- (vs. 13) You rescue us from the dominion of darkness.
- (vs. 14) You are our Redeemer. You are the Forgiver of sin.
Beginning your prayer time with worship may take more time than you have allotted in the past, but you will find the extra five minutes will be immensely more rewarding than simply telling God how needy you are.
You may even decide to just worship and save the requests for another time.
A Walk With the Women of the Bible
EBook by Lynne Chapman
Join me in getting to know some amazing
women of the Bible
while we extract valuable insights and
lessons from their lives.
Now available for Kindle under new title
A Walk With EVE
Also available in paperback from Cafe Press.
Names of God Ebook
Almighty God. The Creator of heaven and earth.
Our God is given names in Scripture that
describe the characteristics of His personality.
Experience God through the names given Him in Scripture.