- National Day of Prayer –This is held on the first Thursday in May
This day was designated by the United States Congress when Americans of all religions are encouraged humble themselves to pray that the country will be protected from the dangers which threaten it. It was formally enacted in 1952. Most – not all - presidents since that time have signed a proclamation and hosted events each year recognizing the National Day of Prayer.
- Ascension Day – also called Holy Thursday or Ascension Thursday -- This is celebrated on the fortieth day after Easter. As with all other days that have to do with Easter, the actual date of Ascension Day varies from year to year but is always on a Thursday. It is the observance of the day Jesus ascended into Heaven after spending forty days with His disciples after His resurrection.
- Pentecost -- Also known as Whitsunday, it is celebrated fifty days after Easter (again the date varying from year to year) – the tenth day after Ascension Day.
It marks the end of the Easter season and commemorates the descent of the Holy Spirit on Jesus’ disciples. The biblical account is found in Acts chapter 2
- Trinity Sunday -- celebrated on the first Sunday after Pentecost. It is a festival of the Trinity – the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- Corpus Christi -- It is celebrated on Thursday after Trinity Sunday.
The name is Latin for Body of Christ. This day does not observe a particular even in the life of Jesus. It celebrates the body and the blood of Christ.
- At this time, I don’t know of any Christian feasts or observances in July.
- Transfiguration Sunday Transfiguration Sunday is celebrated on the seventh Sunday after Trinity Sunday.
As reported in Matthew 17:1-9, Mark 9:2-8 and Luke 9:28-36, Jesus took his disciples, Peter, James and John to a mountain. There He was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun and his clothes became filled with light. The disciples then realized that Moses and Elijah were there talking to Jesus.
Celebrating the Transfiguration celebrates human nature meeting God, the temporal and the eternal. Jesus is the connecting point between the two.
- Assumption Day Many countries celebrate this day on or around August 15.
This celebrates the day the Mary, the mother of Jesus ascended into Heaven following her death.
A Walk With the Women of the Bible
EBook by Lynne Chapman
Join me in getting to know many of the other amazing
women of the Bible
while we extract valuable insights and
lessons from their lives.
Now available for Kindle under new title
A Walk With EVE
Also available in paperback from Cafe Press.
Names of God Ebook
Almighty God. The Creator of heaven and earth.
Our God is given names in Scripture that
describe the characteristics of His personality.
Experience God through the names given Him in Scripture.