When my daughter was young, I had to protect her from certain decisions she was inclined to make. Children often rush into things. They choose without thinking. Engrossed in their play, they run into traffic or into dangerous activity, never thinking of the consequence. As parents, it is our job to protect them. We shake our heads and wonder why they don't ask us before acting because we can see the bigger picture and the problems they may run into.
As adults, we are often guilty of the same unthinking behavior. As Christians, we are advised to ask our Heavenly Father for guidance in decision making. However, we tend to act just like the children - too busy to stop and ask, too sure of our ability to decide. We often rush into life-changing actions without taking time to ask the One who sees the big picture.
There is an ancient book that tells the story. In the Bible, time and again, people insisted on going their own way. Their God faithfully offered guidance but they preferred to make their own decisions. Thinking that times had changed and believing themselves to be more aware of modern conditions, they rebelled against ancient wisdom. They searched for new wisdom or man-made methods of charting their future.
People have not changed. The people of the bible experienced the same emotions, confusion, fears, and hopes for the future as we do today. God has not changed. He is still in charge. Godly wisdom is still the only true wisdom.
- Before making decisions, I will seek quiet time with my God.
- I will study His word to see that bible people were not so different from me.
- I will pray for His will.
- I will ask for that ancient wisdom.
- I will inquire of my Heavenly Father, who sees the big picture and has my best interests at heart.
- I will trust in the answers He gives even when they conflict with modern wisdom.
- From Jeremiah 6:16 "ask where the good way is and walk in it and you will find rest for your souls."
- From Isaiah 30:15 "In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength"
I have rushed ahead of God in the past and may do so in the future. I have often found myself in a mess of my own making.
But God says that He will clean up that mess. He will heal my life and get me back on the way of wisdom.
From 2 Chronicles 7:14 "If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."
A Walk With the Women of the Bible
EBook by Lynne Chapman
Join me in getting to know some amazing
women of the Bible
while we extract valuable insights and
lessons from their lives.
Now available for Kindle under new title
A Walk With EVE
Also available in paperback from Cafe Press.
Names of God Ebook
Almighty God. The Creator of heaven and earth.
Our God is given names in Scripture that
describe the characteristics of His personality.