My friend’s teenagers love cheeseburger calzones. However, with both parents working full time, dinner often turns into the drive through lane or pizza delivery.
I wanted to take their favorite recipe and make it freezer friendly to save them time, money, and a little sanity at the end of the day.
Hopefully, your family will enjoy it as much as they all did!
Lean ground beef
1 package of Pillsbury Reduced Fat Pizza Crust
Your favorite canned marinara sauce, or your own homemade version
1 package of reduced fat shredded cheese blend
Pepperoni or turkey pepperoni (optional)
1 jar mushrooms (optional)
1. Spray pan with a non stick cooking spary.
2. Brown ground beef, and then cool.
3. Divide ground beef up in freezer containers or bags.
4. Divide shredded cheese and pepperoni in freezer containers or bags.
5. Freeze both items together on the same shelf in your freezer.
6. Thaw in refrigerator, and double check that you have marina and
mushrooms in your pantry.
7. To cook, follow the directions below:
1. Pre heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Divide pizza dough in half by running a knife down the middle (you should have two rectangle looking shapes which can be divided down again if needed). If you are cooking for four or more, you will need two cans of pizza dough.
3. Grease two pie dishes or one large cookie sheet.
4. Spread marina sauce on half of pizza dough.
5. Add desired amount of cheese and pepperoni mixture.
6. Add ground beef.
7. Top with any additional ingredients as desired.
8. Lift up part of dough that has no toppings and fold it up and over the part of dough that does the toppings. You want to “tuck in” the ingredients so to speak. Don’t worry if it looks funny—it will turn out just fine after baking!
9. Bake for thirty minutes.
Remember, as you freeze the ingredients above, be sure to have these items on hand as well:
Items to have on hand in your pantry: Marina sauce and a jar of mushrooms.
Items to have on hand in your fridge: Reduced fat pizza crust
The items to freeze are: Cooked ground beef, cheese, and pepperoni.