Many companies and businesses will acknowledge Take our Daughters and Sons to Work Day on Thursday, April 22, 2004. This day gives children an opportunity to see where there parents work, meet some of their colleagues and observe the work they do, while introducing the children to potential career opportunities. The 2004 theme is Today's Vision, Tomorrow's Reality.
If your company is recognizing the day and you have a boy or girl aged between 8 and 12 (the recommended age) take time to participate in this worthy event. Some companies may have a planned agenda for visiting children. If yours does not, here are some suggestions:
- Have a workspace for child
- Plan some kind of activity in advance
- Keep in mind that some areas may not be appropriate for children
- Do not let children go to different offices alone.
- Make arrangements for children to have a 10 minute chat with your supervisor. Maybe they could interview the boss
- If you are the supervisor ask one of your staff to talk about his or her work experiences
- Schedule time for children to on computers
- Arrange a tour of the facility or several offices
This year the Ms. Foundation for Women is holding a "Framing Your Wish" contest children. The Framing Your Wish contest will be an opportunity for youngsters to create artwork or write a poem about their hopes and dreams for future work and family life. All entries must be postmarked by April 30, 2004. The contest is for USA participants only.
See Daughters and Sons To Work for the officials and regulations. Ten $100 cash prizes will be given - five for poetry and five for artwork. The Ms. Foundation states that all entrees will be considered for future publication.
Hone your skills for work and family and you hone them for living life to the fullest