About the Bachelor's Degree
A Bachelorís degree is an undergraduate degree. In the United States it is usually a four year program which can be earned at one of many bricks and mortar universities or can be earned entirely by distance learning at one of the universities that offers it online. The number of credits required is 120 or about 40 courses. Bachelorís degrees are the degrees most often pursued after graduation from secondary school. Most of the courses taken in a bachelorís program are general courses such as mathematics, science, fine arts, languages, or social sciences. The rest of the courses taken are in the major that you choose. Usually you must choose a major by the end of your second year.
The most common bachelor degrees are the Bachelor of Arts degree (BA) and the Bachelor of Science degree (BS). Bachelor of Arts degrees are awarded to students majoring in the arts such as the humanities, music, or social science. The Bachelor of Science is awarded to students who have majored in the physical sciences or the mathematical sciences. Other bachelor degrees are given for specific subjects such as a Bachelor of Fine Arts, a Bachelor of Education, and a Bachelor of Engineering degree. If you have previously earned an Associate degree, you will be able to transfer your credits from that program and be able to complete you bachelor program in just 2 years.
Bachelor degrees can be earned by distance learning and today there is a wide choice of bachelor degree programs that are offered online. If you want to change careers or look for a better paying job in your present field, you will find a program to fill your needs. Of course you will also receive the same benefits of all online learning Ė the flexibility of being able to work around your current responsibilities, having access to your course 24 hours per day, and studying full time or part time.
Benefits of a Bachelorís Degree
- You must have a bachelorís degree if you are interested in remaining or returning to school for a higher education such as a Masterís or a PhD degree.
- You will have the potential to earn more money than you can with just a high school diploma or an Associateís degree..
- It will help you to advance to higher positions in your career.
- Learning is fun and getting your Bachelorís degree will start you on a path to lifelong learning.
- Much of what you learn while studying for your degree will be useful to you in your work and in your personal life. Even when there is some specific knowledge that you will never use again, you will learn some skills such as problem solving or persistence, and that in itself is extremely beneficial.
You need to look at your medium range and long term goals to make the best decisions about the level of education that will best help you meet those goals. A large number of people today are working towards their Bachelorís degree because it will help them to reach their goals. Many of them are doing it through distance learning since it fits into their schedules well and can save them some money on housing costs and/or travel expenses. Remember if you do decide to attain a Bachelorís degree, make sure that the school you study at is accredited. Do not waste your time and money at schools which are not accredited.