This bob hairstyle shown in these illustrations is similar to the cut that Katie Holmes shocked her fans with when she chopped off her long hair. It is the classic bob, but it is updated with a fringy perimeter. It has a very sophisticated look yet can be very casual too. It can be worn in a smooth classic style or flipped out for fun. The sides can be worn forward, framing the face or tucked behind one or both ears. The long hair in the front can be worn back off the face or styled in a flirty side bang.
The top of this style is long, extending to just below the ears where a ‘weight line’ is formed. Texturizing throughout helps to create fullness and keeps it from appearing heavy. Below the weight line, the hair is layered and texturized, forming about three inches of fringe. The back of the style is stacked at the occipital bone and fringed for a very soft neckline.
Get this look:
- Shampoo and condition it with products that are appropriate for your hair texture.
- If your hair is fine and limp, use volumizing or body building products.
- If your hair is curly or tends to have too much body, use products that are labeled smoothing or moisturizing. If your hair has a tendancy to frizz, apply a smoothing serum.
- Blot it with your towel and apply firm hold styling foam. Work the foam into the base of the hair – near the scalp. Don’t worry about applying the foam to the ends. It will be distributed while you are blowing it dry.
- Blow your hair dry creating as much body as possible. Use a large round brush, turning it all under. Allow the fringe to dry naturally or turn it under if you prefer. If your hair is very straight, you may need to use a large curling iron to create the curve and bounce of the style. When you have enough curve in the style, arrange it with your fingers and spray it lightly with flexible hold hair spray.
- Keep the fullness in the front by lifting it with your fingers and spraying the base with firm hold hair spray.
- To wear this style in a flip, start it as above. Use a large round brush to turn the top under. Turn the ends out using the same large round brush.