This pasta dish is great comfort food, or an easy company dish.
- 1 pound ziti, rigatoni, or penne
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 14 ounce can whole tomatoes
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/2 Tbs dried basil (or 1/4 cup fresh, shredded)
- 1/2 Tbs dried oregano
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 olive oil
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- Cook the ziti to just before al dente.
- Coat a 9'x12" baking dish with olive oil. Set aside.
- In a skillet, heat the remaining olive oil over medium-high heat. Cook the onion until translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Don't let the garlic brown.
- Crush the tomatoes with your hands and add to the skillet. Add in the juice from the can.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes.
- In a large bowl mix the ricotta and mozzarella cheeses.
- Add the parsley, basil, oregano, salt, red pepper, a few grinds of pepper, and mix.
- Add the tomato-onion mixture and mix well.
- When the ziti is drained add to the cheese mixture and toss well to coat the pasta.
- Spoon the mixture into the baking dish.
- Sprinkle the bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese on top of the pasta.
- Bake at 400F for 20-30 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Note: You can make this dish ahead of time and reheat. It is a terrific last minute company dish. Pull it out of the freezer, reheat, pair with a salad and garlic bread. You have a easy home cooked Italian meal.
Bella Italian Food Recommends
Farberware Nonstick 6-Piece Bake ware Set
A great set for any kitchen! The 9"x13" pan is perfect for baked ziti. The silicone coating makes for great release. The wide handles make transporting hot pans from oven to table easier, even when wearing oven mits.