This is a delicious alternative to the standard grilled steak.
Steak with Tomatoes and Garlic
- 4 8 ounce steaks (T-bone is best)
- 4 Tbs olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds tomatoes, chopped
- 1 Tbs fresh oregano, crumbled
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- Heat 2 Tbs of olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Remove from heat and add the garlic. Cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes, oregano, salt, and pepper. Return to a medium heat and cook for about 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 Tsp of olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add one of the steaks and turn the heat to high.
- Cook the steak for 1-2 minutes on each side. Lower the heat to medium, spoon some of the tomato sauce over the steak, cover the pan, and cook for 5-8 minutes depending upon your preference.
- Remove the steak and set aside. Repeat with the other steaks.
- Plate the steaks with a little sauce and serve the remaining sauce on the side.
Note: When cooking the tomatoes you may add other vegetables as well. Green peppers and mushrooms make a nice addition to the sauce. Some people opt to sprinkle mozzarella cheese over the steaks and broil to melt the cheese. If you do this remember to adjust your cooking time in the skillet.
Bella Italian Food Recommends
Calphalon Commercial Nonstick 12-Inch Everyday Pan with Lid
A great everyday pan! This has become one of my favorite all around use pans. It's shallow enough to cook the steak in, but is also perfect for risotto or Osso Buco D’Angnello.