This dish is tasty, healthy, easy to make, and inexpensive to make. This frittata makes a beautiful brunch or side dish.
Italians have loved asparagus since ancient Rome. This torta combines the best of old and new world flavors to enchant us with the flavors of asparagus.
- 1/2 bunch asparagus
- 10 eggs
- 2 Tbs heavy cream
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/3 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup roasted red peppers, diced
- 1 red potato
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Peel and blanch the asparagus spears. Cut asparagus into 1/2" pieces.
- Peel and blanch the potato. Cut the potato into 1" x 1/2" cubes.
- In a large bowl, blend together the eggs, cream, ricotta cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate the egg mixture.
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the asparagus, red peppers, garlic, and potato and cook for 3 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the egg mixture. Stir well mixing the asparagus, peppers, and potatoes through the eggs.
- Cover the pan and cook for 10 minutes, until the eggs are completely set. There should be no liquid egg remaining.
- Top the torta with Mozzarella cheese and allow to melt.
- Slide the torta onto a serving dish and allow to rest 3 minutes before slicing.
Note: If you want the Mozzarella browned, either use a oven proof pan, or place the torta on a oven proof dish before adding the Mozzarella. Melt the cheese under the broiler.