Barbara Beery is a successful cookbook author and founder of Batter Up Cooking School. She started the school sixteen years ago, to allow kids the ability to create their own kitchen successes. In addition, she wanted to provide cooking classes for kids that focused on healthier food options.
Ms. Beery recently partnered with Borden to help promote Borden’s perfect pour milk bottles. These new bottles are ideal for cooking with kids. They feature a special handle that’s small enough for kids to pour their own milk for baking or drinking.
Ms. Beery created two recipes in honor of this outstanding product. Puff the Magic Pancake and Under a Blue Moon Smoothie are delicious and kid friendly recipes kids of all ages will appreciate.
Puff the Magic Pancakes Recipe
Recipe courtesy of Barbara Beery
Makes: 4 servings
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20-24 minutes
• 4 teaspoons butter
• 1/2 cup Borden Organic 1% low fat milk (Borden Organic Whole,
2% Reduced Fat or Fat Free Milk may be substituted)
• 2 eggs
• 1/2 cup all purpose flour
• 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg (freshly grated is best)
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Spray 4 custard cups with nonstick cooking spray and put them
on a 9 x 13 inch cookie sheet. Place 1 teaspoon butter in the bottom of
each custard cup and place in oven 5-6 minutes to melt butter to
sizzling point while preparing pancake batter.
3. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together Borden Organic 1% low
fat milk, eggs and vanilla. Add flour, salt and nutmeg, whisking to
blend into a smooth batter.
4. Carefully remove cookie sheet pan from oven. Ladle equal
amounts of pancake batter into each of the 4 cups. Return to oven and
bake 15 -18 minutes. You will be amazed to see how these pancakes
magically puff while baking!
5. Remove cookie sheet from oven and remove cups from pan. Be
careful: these are very hot.
6. Garnish pancakes by sprinkling each with 1/2 teaspoon powdered
sugar, a drizzle of honey or syrup, and plenty of fresh seasonal fruits.
7. Garnish and serve ASAP as these puff pancakes sink down quickly in the
center after being removed from the oven. The good news is that this
sunken hole is just the perfect spot to spoon on fruits and
Under a Blue Moon Smoothie Recipe
Recipe courtesy of Barbara Beery
• 2 1/2 cups blueberries, frozen
• 1 cup chilled apple juice
• 1 container Borden Cherry Vanilla non fat yogurt
• 1/2 cup Borden Organic 1% Low Fat Milk (Borden Organic Whole, 2% Reduced Fat or Fat Free Milk may be substituted)
• 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Place all ingredients in a blender, secure top, and blend.
2. Serve immediately with your choice of garnish.
3. For really cool sipping, place serving glasses in the freezer up to 8 hours before using. When ready to serve, remove glasses from freezer and fill with milkshake.
4. Change the recipe by substituting frozen raspberries or peaches for blueberries and changing the flavor of yogurt flavor to Borden Strawberry Banana or Raspberry Non Fat Yogurts. Very cool!
If thes two recipes sound delicious, you should defiantly check out Ms. Beery’s line of cookbooks. Her titles include:
• Sensational Snacks
• Delicious Desserts
• Princess Cookbook
• Mermaid Cookbook
• Pink Princess Tea Parties
• Fairies Cookbook
• University of Texas Longhorns Cookbook
Between her fabulous cookbooks and Borden’s easy pour milk bottles, fun baking days await you and your family!