This is a baked ziti recipe from Italy. It features the yummy flavor of Italian sausage.
- 1 pound ziti
- 2 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 15-ounce can, crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 slices prosciutto, chopped
- 1/3 cup Pecarino-Romano cheese, freshly grated
- 1 stalk parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 pound Italian sausage meat, mild
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, diced
- Cook pasta to just before al dente.
- In a large skillet over medium heat heat the extra-virgin olive oil. Cook the sausage and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, tomatoes, and wine to the skillet. Cook for 20 minutes.
- In a large bowl mix the prosciutto, parsley, egg, bread crumbs, 2 Tbs olive oil, mozzarella, and salt together.
- Coat a medium casserole with the remaining olive oil.
- Add the pasta to the bowl and gently toss.
- Add the tomato sauce and gently mix together. It should be well mixed, with all pasta coated with the sauce.
- Pour the pasta into the baking dish.
- Place in a 500F oven for 10 minutes. Serve hot from oven.
Note: You may sprinkle extra Pecarino-Romano cheese and breadcrumbs over the top of the pasta before baking.