Served with a nice mixed salad or some veggies, mozzarella in carrozza becomes a delicious and complete meal. Sliced in half and served with different sauces for dip it becomes a great antipasto idea as well.
Ingredients and Instructions (serves 4):
- 1 whole fresh mozzarella ball
- 8 slices of whole grain bread, without crust
- ˝ cup of milk
- 3 tablespoons of all purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 4 anchovy fillets (optional)
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Slice the mozzarella and arrange over 4 slices of bread.
- If you like the anchovies taste, place one over each sandwich, then lay another slice of bread on top and press gently to make sure the sandwiches stay packed and do not open up.
- Place the flour in a shallow bowl, the milk in another one and in a third one whisk the eggs with a pinch of salt, until they have incorporated enough air and are nice and foamy.
- Fill up a frying pan with about ˝ inch of the vegetable oil and heat up over medium high fire.
- Meanwhile, dip the sandwiches briefly in the milk first, then dredge them slightly in the flour and finally in the egg, making sure they are coated evenly. However, unless you use a pan which is large enough to accommodate easily all 4 sandwiches, I recommend doing the egg mixture step just before frying each mozzarella sandwich.
- Drop in the hot oil and fry for about 2 minutes then turn over and do the same on the other side. They should become just golden and crisp on both sides.
- Transfer to paper towel to absorb the excess oil, sprinkle with another small pinch of salt and serve while still warm.
Wine suggestions: a chilled Italian Pinot Grigio is what I prefer with Mozzarella in Carrozza. However, if served as an appetizer, try pairing it with a sparkling Prosecco Rose.
Cinzia Aversa 2013