- A dealer of purple cloth. Purple cloth was expensive and valuable as a sign of nobility or royalty so she was probably a wealthy businesswoman.
- From the city of Thyatira. This small city was known for its commerce in Asia Minor. It was in an area noted for its abundant crops and the manufacture of purple dye.
- A worshiper of God. This term was used for Gentiles who believed in the Jewish God, Yahweh. Although they believed in God, they were not yet believers in Christ.
- A woman whose heart God opened. Paul shared the message of the gospel of Jesus Christ and through God's divine work, she believed. She apparently was baptized right away along with the members of her household. Since her husband was not mentioned, I believe she was a widow. Lydia's household probably included children and servants. Whether the entire household believed or not, they now lived in a Christian home.
- A willing servant. She invited Paul and his companions to stay at her house. When God opened her heart, she believed wholeheartedly. She became a servant, tending to the needs of the missionaries. Later in Paul's mission, he returned to Lydia�s home where he met with believers. Lydia had apparently become an active member of the church.
As soon as Lydia believed, she went to work for Christ. She shared her faith with her family and servants. She opened her home to God's people and continued being of service to the church. I think that after a lifetime of faithful service, she met Jesus and was probably greeted with the words, "Well done good and faithful servant. Come and share My happiness" (from Matthew 25:21)
I'm sure that I would have liked Lydia if I had lived back then and I can't wait to meet her one day when I join other believers in the Kingdom of Heaven.
Find her story in Acts 16:13-15 and 40.
Read more about Lydia, A Worshiper of God.
A Walk With the Women of the Bible
EBook by Lynne Chapman
Join me in getting to know some amazing
women of the Bible
while we extract valuable insights and
lessons from their lives.
Now available for Kindle under new title
A Walk With EVE
Also availble in paperback from Cafe Press.
Names of God Ebook
Almighty God. The Creator of heaven and earth.
Our God is given names in Scripture that
describe the characteristics of His personality.
Experience God through the names given Him in Scripture.