|Cherry, Pineapple & Coconut Eggs|
Maraschino cherries, crushed pineapple and nuts are added to this recipe for chocolate coated Easter eggs.
- 2 boxes (1 pound each) confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 package (2 oz.) nut topping or pecan chips
- 1 small jar maraschino cherries, well drained and finely chopped
- 1 bag (7 oz.) coconut
- 1 small can ( 8 oz.) crushed pineapple, well drained
- 1 small can (5 oz.) evaporated milk - see preparation directions for amount
- 12 oz. dark chocolate candy melts, dark coating chocolate, or semi-sweet chocolate chips
In a large bowl, mix the confectioners' sugar, butter, salt, nuts, cherries, pineapple and coconut together. Add just enough evaporated milk to hold the mixture together. It should be easy to handle and shape, but not sticky or runny. Use the palms of your hands to roll the mixture, a small amount at a time, into egg shapes. Place the uncoated candy eggs on a wax paper lined tray or cookie sheet. Let dry on a waxed paper lined tray in the refrigerator for several hours or until firm. Melt the chocolate in a microwave oven or in a double boiler. Using a toothpick, dip each egg in the melted chocolate to coat, then place on a waxed paper lined tray or cookie sheet and allow the chocolate to harden. Place the eggs in paper candy cups.