Fall is my favorite time of year. It's cool enough where you can layer tops and wear cute tailored blazers but not so cold that you have to hide under a coat. And coincidentally, the fall fashion season always presents the best fashion trends and there are plenty of ways to look fashionable for your style and body type.
The trick with any fashion season is to pick out key trends that work for you, combining new trends with some of your older favorites. You have to truly make it your own. Does a particular trend speak to you? Does it suit your body? Part of being fashionable is knowing what works for you and what doesn't.
What's Hot for Fall:
1. Muted colors like dark teal, wine burgundy, navy and dark green. Red and monotones (black and white) are also great colors this season.
2. Peplum dresses, jackets, and tops.
3. Bold statement jewelry, especially large bib necklaces. Peter pan collars as jewelry or attached to tops have also been popular.
4. Wedged & covered heels in bright, fun colors. Ankle boots are also very stylish this time of year.
5. Color blocking (mixing 2 or more colors into visible "blocks"), carried over from last season.
6. Quilted textures, not just in handbags & small accessories but jackets, too.
7. Skinny pants & jeans, especially in the season's colors.
8. Patterned skirts and pants, especially in wilder prints including floral and abstract.
Always keep in mind that you don't have to follow a certain trend and you can change it up to your comfort level and style. For example, if skinny jeans are just not your thing, try a narrow straight leg pant to give you a long appearance. It will have the same effect without making you feel uncomfortable. If you're unable to do the tall wedged shoes, no big deal! Just go with comfortable color-blocked flats or a lower heel in the popular colors of this season.
How to Own the Look
1. Refrain from participating in every single trend at the same time. If you watch fashion shows there are a few elements in each look at that allows special trends to stand out. You also want to look like you and stay true to yourself. You should look put together and fashion-forward. This means owning the look in your own special way, and not stepping straight out of a fashion magazine because you don't want to labeled as a copycat!
2. Low on cash? Buy one or two good pieces this season and get the rest from affordable brands and stores. Try a store like Target or a discount department store like TJMaxx before blowing your budget.
3. Accessories are important! Even if you're following just one trend like a great top or jacket, you can add an additional element by topping yourself off with a trendy fashion necklace or a stylish handbag. Shoes and scarves also make for fabulous accessorizing.
4. Don't overwhelm yourself. If you're wearing a bold statement necklace, wear smaller earrings so that it doesn't appear to be "too much". Or if you're sporting an outrageous pair of heels, tone down on your handbag and fashion jewelry. That is, unless such a look is absolutely something you would do whether or not a fashion magazine tells you so!
5. Shop for pieces that will last past the season. A lot of times, you can mix and match this season's key pieces with new trends from next season. If you can see yourself wearing something just once or twice, really consider it before buying. Think of it this way: The more you spend today, the less you'll have to spend later! For the budget-conscious, super trendy items should be purchased on sale or at boutiques which offer lower price points.
Using current fashion trends and your own personal style will help you look amazing this fall. No matter what, always stay true to yourself because fashion is just plain clothing. Only you can put the style into fashion.