You are excited because you and your family are getting away for some fun and bonding time. Take some extra precautions before you go. You know the usual travel warnings and safety tips, however, there are other tips that you should keep in mind also.
If you are traveling out of the country think about signing up with a chartered group. You will travel together but you don't have to stay with your group. Very often arrangements are made for breakfast and dinner. This can be very important if you are traveling with a child who has a picky appetite. Checking out the local cuisine can be fun except if your kid won't eat what is being served. You don't want to spend all of your time in 'Burger World'. Whatever you do, make it a real family affair.
A few suggestions for a safe, fun and fairly inexpensive vacation.
1. Study guidebooks carefully. Pay particular attention to your destinationís political and cultural scene to help you figure out how the locals treat people of your gender, race, or age. The Internet can help you find inexpensive hotels and restaurants. Be sure to look for free or inexpensive attractions. Don't forget local museums, parks, and even libraries for cheap fun.
2. Research your destinationís transportation system. Learn the main types of public travel and determine the safest way to go.
3. Research the hotel where you will stay. The atmosphere should be child friendly, safe, and full of others who are traveling with children.
4. If you meet up with other travelers who suggest you tour the city together, be cautious. Get to know them over a conversation in a public place. And if you decide to join them, never agree to remote locations with them.
5. Leave a note with the hotel staff if you decide to check out a less-traveled place. The note should include your family information, contact information for people at home, etc. Check in with the staff when you return, just stop by the desk to say you enjoyed the day. While this may seem way over-the-top cautious, we have all read headlines that prove using a little caution can assure a lovely vacation and a safe return home.
6. To save money, you may want to stay outside of the the area you will be visiting. It may even add to the adventure. If you can find an inexpensive family friendly motel you will save dollars.
7. Skip the fast food places and bring some food from home or find a local grocery store. Remember to bring snacks from home.
8. Don't forget to take a couple of your child's favorite books or games.