If you donít have an apple tree in your back yard, you can still have the opportunity to pick fresh apples. There are many apple festivals and pick your own apple orchards throughout the country. Both provide a fun and inexpensive family outing that is sure to create lasting memories for the entire family!
This cake is easy to make, and takes advantage of the fresh apples in season.
- 2 cups of sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/3 cups of oil
- 3 cups of flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 3 cups of chopped apples (any kind, peeled or unpeeled)
- 1 cup of nuts
- 1 cup of light brown sugar
- 1 stick of butter
- ľ cup of evaporated milk
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix sugar, eggs and oil in a large bowl.
- Add flour, baking soda, salt, apples, and nuts.
- Bake in a 10 X 18 pan for 45 minutes.
- Cool slightly.
For the topping, combine sugar, butter, and evaporated milk in a pan and bring to a boil for 2 Ĺ minutes.
Cut the cake into squares, and pour topping over top of cake, allowing for it to seep over and in between the cake squares.
If you have leftover apples, you can make "Apple Stacks" for a fun snack.
- Left over apples
- 1 small bag of marshmallows
- Peanut Butter
- Cut apples into slices and chunks. They donít have to be the same
size, in fact, it works better if you have several different sizes.
- Spread sliced apples on a plate.
- Add a little bit of peanut butter to one apple slice.
- Top with a marshmallow or two.
- Place another drop or two of peanut butter on the marshmallow.
- Place another apple slice on top. If needed, use toothpicks to hold it together.
- Kids will have fun seeing how tall they can make their apple stacks!