If I’m taking only my Bible some place, I prefer to just carry it as it is,without a cover, but when I go to a Bible study class, I need, not only my Bible, but an assortment of materials.
- My Bible – I use a large print study Bible. It is easy to read quickly and has great study notes but is large and very heavy.
- Bible study book: - I usually have a small booklet of whatever study the class is doing.
- Notebook – A small ring-top notebook for, of course, taking notes and for making note of the names of all the others in the class.
- Pens – I usually take two, one to use and one to share.
- Colored pencil – I use this to highlight favorite Bible passages.
- A pack of small sticky notes – I like the ones that are about 2 inches square to use as page markers. They stay where they are put and are easy to peel off of even the most delicate pages.
- Index cards – I use these to write down memory verses and prayer requests.
- Pocket sized package of tissues – I’m always prepared.
So, as you can see, I take a lot of ‘stuff’ and I don’t want to have to gather it all before each class. I need a Bible cover that will easily store all of it.
- I look for a sturdy design, with strong stitching and a heavy-duty zipper that glides easily.
- The cover must be made of a leather or strong vinyl, hold up to years of wear and tear and must be easy to keep clean.
- My Bible cover has to have at least two nice sized pockets to hold all the extras.
- Since I use a large Bible, I look for a cover with an extra large pocket for it, making sure that it is more than large enough to accommodate.
- I look for something with a strong handle that is firmly attached. I don’t want to discover one end has become detached while I’m on my way to class. Since my Bible and all my ‘stuff’ is heavy, I want a handle that fits my hand comfortably.
I had no idea that a Bible cover was such a personal accessory until my own shopping excursion. May I suggest that if you find yourself shopping for a Bible cover for someone else, take the time to find out about their particular needs. Pick the perfect match in a Bible cover and your gift is sure to be a hit.
Leather Book Covers / Bible Covers