In the series,“What’s in the Bible,” the book “What’s in the Bible for Mothers” is by Judy Bodmer and Larry Richards, PhD
The information, in the form of a topical Bible study, covers just about everything about being a mom.
- Becoming a Mom
- Giving Birth
- Celebration ( names, circumcision, announcements)
- Religious tradition
- Raising the child
- Your attitude
- Your responsibility
- Meeting your child’s needs
- Working out side the home
- Life’s tough issues such as:
- drugs and alcohol
- divorce (The book does not say that your divorce is okay or is not okay. It gives related scripture and offers advice on how to help the children through a divorce and after it.)
- blended families
- Letting go of your child
As in the book What’s in the Bible for Women (Read my review here) each chapter includes many helpful features, such as
- Snapshots of women in the Bible
- Words to live by.
- Quick definitions of some words with scripture references
- Thoughts and insights from Bible teachers, writers and experts on the subject.
- These include some of my favorites such as Kay Arthur, James Dobson, PhD, Erma Bombeck, Lady Bird Johnson, Barbara Johnson and Max Lucado. These are just a few of many. Each is identified in Appendix B – The Experts, in the back of the book.
- Heart to heart - Biblical wisdom and how to use it in your life. Put your new knowledge into practice.
- Coffee Break – Judy’s personal stories
- Questions at the end of each chapter to help the reader to reflect on what was learned. The answers are in the back of the book in Appendix A – The Answers
I like this book because it doesn’t attempt to give you all the answers. After all, not every mother child relationship is the same. It gives research and statistics, personal stories and it gives scripture references so that you can see what God has to say about the particular situation and more importantly, what He has to say to you. This is a great gift idea for new mothers or for more experienced mothers for Mother's Day.
Author, Judy Bodmer speaks to women’s groups and has written articles on family and marriage for Today’s Christian Woman, Chicken Soup for the Mother’s Soul and Readers Digest. She is best known for her book When Love Dies: How to Save a Hopeless Marriage.
The general editor, Dr. Larry Richards has taught and written Sunday school curriculum for every age group, from nursery though adult. He has published more than two hundred books. He and his wife live in Raleigh, North Carolina.
A Walk With Women of the Bible
E-Book by Lynne Chapman
Join me in getting to know some amazing women of the Bible
while we extract valuable insights and lessons from their lives.