|Creamy Pumpkin Soup|
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 cans (14 oz. each) chicken broth, regular or low-fat,
or, about 6 cups of homemade chicken stock
- 2 cups pumpkin puree or 1 can (16 oz.) pumpkin
- 1 can (14 oz.) evaporated milk, regular or skim
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese + additional grated cheese for topping
- 1/2 tsp. curry powder
- 1/4 tsp. ginger
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp. chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- chopped fresh chives, optional
In a large saucepan or stockpot, very lightly saute the chopped onions and celery in 1/4 cup butter. Cook until the onion begins to look translucent. Add the chicken broth, pumpkin puree, evaporated milk, Parmesan cheese, spices and the bay leaf. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in remaining butter.
Pour into a serving tureen or serving bowl. Top with grated parmesan cheese and chopped fresh chives, if desired.
For Soup in a Pumpkin, pour the hot soup into a prepared pumpkin shell.
|Pumpkin Shape Tureen - 3 pc.|
This large, 5 1/2 quart pumpkin tureen comes complete with a matching lid and ladle. It's perfect for serving hearty fall soups and stews!