Making your own musical instruments can be just as fun as playing them. Here are some directions to create a homemade band with your preschooler today!
Coffee Can Drums
Materials Needed: Coffee cans, rubber bands, masking tape, rubber bands, glue, heavy cloth pieces- cut one or two inches wider then the coffee can.
1. An adult should prep the can by removing both ends and smoothing out the rough edges. Tape can be used to cover any stubborn areas.
2. Stretch the cotton cloth across an end of the can and secure it with rubber bands. Your preschooler can choose the material and even help put it on securely.
3. Seal the edge of the material with plastic or duct tape.
4. Have your preschooler paint the material on top of the drum with with a
layer of glue. This will help make the sound louder. Let the glue dry thoroughly before using.
Materials Needed: Yogurt containers of any size with lids (plastic is preferred), dried rice or beans, tape and/or glue.
1. Wash and thoroughly dry the yogurt containers.
2. Fill each container one-third full of the dried rice, beans, or both.
3. Snap the covers on and shake. Your preschooler can help decide the amount of dried beans or rice in each cup for varied sounds.
A few notes for the maracas- your child can help with all of these steps, with supervision, of course. Before filling you may want to let your child paint the containers or decorate them with stickers, scrapbook paper and tape, etc.
An empty and clean oatmeal container can also be used for a drum, following the same directions as for the coffee can. Encourage your preschooler's creativity when making these awesome homemade instruments, and feel free to join in the fun! After the musical crafts are dry, play a great kids cd, like "100 Singalong Songs for Kids" or "150 Preschool Songs", and jam with the tunes! Be sure to have plenty of extras so the whole family can join the band.