Stock up on your supplies, pull out all those recipes and check your equipment. The holidays are quickly approaching and this is typically the candle makers busiest time of year. Whether you make candles for yourself, family, friends or financial gain this can be a very busy time for us. Before you start, make sure you brush up on basic safety practices. Wax can be volatile and may ignite without warning, always keep baking soda and a fire extinguisher nearby.
The following precautions are strongly recommended for yours and the safety of others that may be assisting.
Be sure to review and follow these guidelines when involved in a candle making project in case of any emergencies:
Do not use water to put out a wax fire. Smother the fire with baking soda. Keep a fire extinguisher within reach.
Use the double boilers lid to smother a wax fire.
Never leave melting wax unattended. Be constantly aware of the wax types
melting point and flash-point temperature.
Keep a thermometer in the melting wax so you can keep track of the temperature.
Do not allow any wax to exceed 280 deg F
Keep children and pets away from hot wax.
Do not allow wax to drip onto heating element as it may ignite upon contact and could cause a fire.
Never store unused wax near heat, always store in a cool dry place.
Do not heat wax in a microwave. It will collect energy from the inside out and can bubble, explode, or catch fire.
Use only fragrances, dyes and additives designed specifically for candle making.
Handle aluminum candle molds carefully when they contain hot wax. Aluminum molds get very hot and can burn your skin.
Always pour wax with a container that can withstand high temperatures, and that has a spout and a handle.
If melted wax comes in contact with the skin, bathe the area immediately in cold water. Peel off the wax and treat burned area as any other burn or scald.
Do not allow water to drip into melted wax as it will burst and could burn the skin.
Never pour melted wax down the drain unless you intend on paying a plumber to unclog it.