Soufflés are gorgeous and can be enjoyed with a special loved one or as part of an impressive culinary line up at your next dinner party. This lovely dish is not hard to make and your favorite herbs can be substituted in place of the thyme and marjoram in this recipe.
- 1/3 cup sweet butter
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/3 cups grated sharp cheddar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 6 eggs, separated
- 3 teaspoons chopped marjoram
- 3 teaspoons chopped thyme
- 2 teaspoons chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and lightly butter six small ramekins or one large soufflé pan.
- Melt butter over low heat and whisk in flour, stirring constantly over the heat for one minute.
- Remove from heat and whisk in milk taking care to smooth out any lumps. Return to heat and whisk until mixture thickens.
- Fold in cheese and cayenne.
- Spoon mixture into bowl, cover and cool.
- When cooled stir in egg yolks and herbs.
- Beat egg whites in clean bowl until soft peaks form. Fold whites into yolk mixture , do not over mix.
- Spoon soufflé mixture evenly into ramekins and bake 20 minutes.
- Serve warm from the oven.
Chive, Asparagus and Goat Cheese Quiche
Quiche is a lovely light lunch or an easy to prepare dinner served with a fresh tossed green salad.
**To save time purchase a premade pie shell.*
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups cream
- 4 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1 cup coarsely chopped blanched asparagus
- 3/4 cup goat cheese
- 1/2 cup grated sharp white cheddar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Whisk together eggs, cream , chives, salt and pepper in medium bowl.
- Scatter asparagus and crumbled goat cheese onto pastry crust and pour egg mixture on top.
- Sprinkle top of quiche with cheddar.
- Bake 25 -30 minutes and serve warm.
Chervil, Spinach and Fennel Omelets
Spice up your omelets with a little chili or julienne nasturtium leaves for a peppery kick.
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon chopped chervil
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fennel fronds
- 1/2 cup blanched chopped spinach
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat pan over high heat and melt butter.
- Whisk eggs , milk, seasonings and herbs.
- Pour half of the eggs into the pan and gently swirl eggs in pan until the edges begin to set.
- Lift the edges and allow the uncooked egg to pour through to the pan and set.
- Constantly swirl the pan to keep the eggs from sticking and when all the egg is set sprinkle half the cheese on top.
- Flip the leading edge over to form a half moon and slide onto the plate.
- Repeat with second half of eggs and enjoy.
- Serves two